Oscillating fans can largely vary in size and different settings. For instance, desk fans and tower fans have a setting that allows them to remain stationary at a spot while blowing fresh air in all possible directions. However, oscillating fans’ most prominent and conventional feature is to blow out air in only one direction. Unlike other kinds of fans, oscillating fans typically move the air by streaming it in one direction at a time and alternatively changing the direction along with their movement. Let us dive into ad know more about What is an oscillating fan.
What is an Oscillating Fan?
An oscillating fan is a side-wise rotating fan that blows air either side to side or up and down. The complete set-up of an oscillating fan comprises a fixed part which is the bottom, and a mobile part that houses the fan. Generally, the bases of these fans are stationary while the upper unit is movable as it rotates and circulates the air all over the place. Many oscillating fans have an option to adjust them by moving the fan to different places or spots of the house or simply keeping it stationary at a fixed location. Even you can get other comfortable options like small wall mount oscillating fan with remote.
How Does an Oscillating Fan Work?
An ordinary oscillating fan is has following parts:
All these components are in the basic design of a conventional oscillating fan.
- As the entire work is conducted through the head, the fan head just above the base or stand is joint to motor gears and propeller. The motor’s rod is attached to the propeller from one end and to a gearbox from the other end. This arrangement helps initiate the turning mechanism in the fan.
- The gearbox’s function in this assembly is to control and manage the oscillatory mechanism. Using a gearbox reduces the requirement of an extra motor, thus making the model efficient.
- The core of the gear is large enough to accommodate an insertion to allow it to move up and down. A spring consisting of ball bearings on either end is attached to a hole present in the insertion. Thus the ball bearings act as gear and keep the fan from moving against resistance and prevent damage to the fan.
- For the fixed mode, a similar insertion is placed on the roof of the gearbox.
- The insertion is also helpful in switching to different modes of the fan-like static and oscillating mode. The insertion has a knob that stretches the fan case outwards, allowing the user to switch between the modes by pressing down the knob.
- The combined design of the model helps change the rotation of the fan and makes it oscillatory by allowing it to sweep air from side to side.
Pedestal or oscillating fans are great at blowing fresh and cool air in all directions. They are one of the best cooling fans due to their ability to supply air current alternatively. These fans can also easily switch modes. They can sweep out the air in the desired direction as they are designed to change direction as per their work. This makes oscillating fans the perfect choice to cool your place with fresh airwaves. There are different types based on the place you are using, like a quiet outdoor oscillating fan for your patio or an oscillating tower fan for your living room. So make sure to grab one as per your choice.