We all love some gardening to do in our backyard, big or small. But, at the same time, if you love to keep your surroundings clean and always in an attempt to maintain well-manicured lawns and garden borders, make weed trimmers your top garden tool. They are used widely across the world for garden lovers. Let us read more to know how to use a weed trimmer and the measures to consider.
How to Use a Weed Trimmer / Eater?
Let us first understand briefly what weed trimmers are and their job. Different names call weed trimmers worldwide like a weed whacker, brush cutter, weed eater, etc. They are used to handle all the unwanted grass and weeds, even in places where it’s hard to reach or trim. When mowers cannot reach, weed trimmers do. It is designed in a way where the head of the trimmer is farther due to its elongated metal pipe topped by a gas engine or an electric motor. It spins fast in the center, cutting the grass more easily than done by hands or previously used garden tools. The head towards the side of the user usually ensures safety.
Step-by-Step Guide on How to Use a String Trimmer
Let us now discuss how to use edge trimmer for trimming grass or weeds
1. Gather Tools
You will need the right tools to remove the weeds. Typically there are two main types of string trimmers- a) gas-powered b) electric powered.
- Gas-powered trimmers are cordless and need gas and oil as a component to run. It is the most preferred trimmer with two engines for larger yards. Some may have four engines that are free from gas and oil components.
- On the other hand, electric-powered string trimmers come with or without a cord. Unlike gas trimmers, they are empowered by a switch system and are less powerful. Preferred mostly for smaller yards and lawns. Easy to handle and do not demand much maintenance.
To select a certain style of trimmer, you can opt for straight shafts or a curved shaft trimmer. Straight shafts give off a balanced weight to the user with their easy-to-carry feature no matter the time. Due to this, it is more suitable to use it in larger areas. The later trimmer also gives a somewhat balanced position and can be used with a more miniature garden.
Along with these, you will also need a trimmer liner. Again, you can either use a standard grade line or a commercial grade line.
Furthermore, you can choose from various string attachments like- Pole saw attachment, Hedge Trimmer Attachment, Leaf Blower Attachment, or Power Sweeper Attachment. Based on your preference, choose any of the above weed trimmers.
2. Avoid Hard Surfaces
To use a weed trimmer without any obstruction, you will be required to remove any sturdy materials like rocks. If you have rocks in your garden that are too heavy to pick, then try moving the trimmer very gently along the side of the rock. Be mindful that you do not hit the hard surface because then it would damage the head of the trimmer. Any other small pebbles must be removed from the way to avoid any flying pebbles coming towards you or hitting any glass panels or windows of your car or home.
3. Mix Fuel
To start the trimmer’s engine, you have first to do some component mixing. The customarily used ratio for oil to gas stroke engines is 1:50. Mix the fluids, start the ignition and pull the cord (if any) repeatedly until it finally runs. You will also get a switch with whatever type of trimmer you use. Hold onto the switch of the weed trimmer until your work is completely done. Then remove your grip slowly to shut it off. This switch works as an on and off button.
4. Power Cable
Make sure that the cable is attached to the trimmer and that you do not accidentally cut it along with the grass. So it is mandatory to always place the cable behind you. This will apply only to electric-powered trimmers as gas trimmers do not have cables. Also, make sure to stretch the cable enough for free movement.
How to Edge with a String Trimmer or Weed Eater?
Edging grass with a weed wacker or string trimmer is not so difficult if you follow the correct process. Below is the simple 3-step procedure on how to use a weed eater to edge your lawn or yard.
For the perfect clear-cut look of your garden or lawn or your yard, you need to know how to edge with the help of a string trimmer. The angle to maintain to achieve the end goal is to place the head of the trimmer towards the part of the heavy grassy area. The 90-degree angle is the most sought after edge.
2. Shoulder Mounting
90-degree angle will be fulfilled only when you place it just above your shoulder but not attached to it. Otherwise, it will harm your ears with the noise that it emits. If it’s heavy for you, try a different position if mounting over your shoulder is not working for you.
Set the pace extremely slow. You do not want to ruin the measured dimension of the grass cutting process with reckless trimming. Start very slow as this will give you time to adjust the tool and give you a preview of the grass you will be trimming next. This is a safe option from destroying your garden to shreds.
Tips to Use Weed Whacker
- Protection: Wear protective gear to save yourself from any accidents happening during the process of trimming. Eye-protective glasses should be worn to prevent hard material like small pebbles or rocks from hitting your eyes. Put earplugs to cover your ears from loud noise, and also wear pants and shoes made explicitly for trimming purposes that you will get in any gardening store.
- Remove sensitive objects: Park your car at a distance so that the debris does not hit the car windows. Beware people from walking close-by to your trimming zone as they might get hit too. If there are plants or flower beds that you don’t want to mess up with, put a safety net around them.
- Multi-task: In case you didn’t know already, you can take advantage of your weed trimmer to the fullest by using it for multi-tasking. Most weed whackers are equipped with the multi-task option with them like- trimming(cutting down the grass), edging( to give a clean finish look at the edges), and tapering(same as edging but to blend the edges with that of the height of the grass).
We can conclude by this discussion that anyone can get the desired garden or yard with these skills. Gardening is not an easy task but not a very hard one either. Your dream garden is not that far if you follow the steps diligently. However, remember that this job can be a little handful because of the debris cleaning later on. But what’s work without some effort?