With spring around the corner, your dreams of having a beautiful garden come alive. However, look around, and you will observe bushels of tiny weeds peeking their heads through. These would make it impossible for any other type of vegetation to survive in your garden. If you have been looking for ideas and tips to get rid of these, look no further. Here we will provide a glimpse into what is weed eating and how to use a weed eater to its full potential. We also share some tips and tricks to make the job easier.
What is a Weed Wacker?
A weed whacker is a motorized tool that is handheld and used to remove weeds and ground cover. These consist of a spinning blade and motor combination to get the task done. The weed whacker works on the design principle that the faster the hub spins, the more rigid the cutting edge. Therefore, the stiffer the hub, the sharper it will be when cutting. The speed is controlled with the help of a trigger-activated button at the top.
The machine can be tilted at various angles to get different cuts. The weed whacker can also provide you with a wide range of finishes. Some of the most common ones available are the tapered and scythed options. Weed whackers also come with a guard that helps prevent them from damaging nearby properties and trees. Coming to weed eating or whipping, it is nothing but the task of cutting or trimming the weeds with these weed wackers or eaters.
Why Should you be Using a Weed Whacker?
- The machine is relatively easy to use. Apart from a few buttons, the control mechanism is pretty self-explanatory.
- It is lightweight, making it easy to carry about in the garden. The design also makes for greater flexibility, allowing it to bend at multiple curves and angles.
- They are environmentally friendly as well. Many these days are equipped with silencers and options to lower emissions.
- If you use an electric weed whacker, you do not even need to worry about mixing the gas as fuel.
- Weed cleaners are extremely fast when compared to manual cleaning. You can start seeing the results almost immediately.
- Weed trimmers are available in a wide range of features depending on the nature of your requirement.
- They also provide a very uniform finish throughout the entire span of the work area.
- There is a reduced need to mow lawns with weed whackers, as sidewalks and patios can automatically be maintained through this process.
- Weed trimmers are not very complex. This makes it easier to separate the parts and take care of them. It’s comparatively easier to repair and clean.
How to Use a Weed Eater / Wacker?
Check out the below steps to know how to weed eat or whack properly using a weed eater.
- Ensure that you have safety goggles and sturdy shoes on before you start the weeding process. A pair of gloves is also recommended. This is done to minimize any instances of accidental injury.
- Ensure that the area where you will be using the weed whacker is free of any rocks and other obstructions. These can effectively ruin your machine if they get stuck between the blades.
- Before starting the weeding process, ensure that all cables are tucked away at the back and off the kill switch.
- To start the weed whacker, pull on the 6-inch wire at the back of it.
- Next, hold the weed whacker in one hand and the trigger button in the other hand.
- Lower the weed whacker to almost 1 inch above the ground and slowly start feeding the grass and weeds into the blade.
- Move the weed whacker side to side to cover up more areas under it and remove the shrubbery.
- If you see an edge while using the weed whacker, gently tilt it to a side to avoid hitting the corners.
Weed Whacking Tips and Tricks
- Keep a lookout for the weather. Wet weather makes it difficult for your whacker to operate at full efficiency.
- If your weed whacker has a shoulder harness, you can adjust it to your height. This makes it much easier to work with.
- Make sure you are picking out the right trimmer speed. Too high may give you faster cutting ability but last you for a much lower time.
- Always remember to tap the head onto the grass once you have started. This is to avoid it coming in contact with the concrete or asphalt.
- Ensure you are using the right type of trimmer string. It is also recommended that you not substitute the nylon wire for anything else.
- Be mindful of the direction you are using your trimmer in. it makes sense to go from a gradual right to left motion in the case of most trimmers.
- If your shrubbery and undergrowth are very thick, you switch to using a wide variety of blades for the same reason.
- Ensure you clean up after the weeding and store your whacker properly. This ensures a longer use life for your whacker.
If you are a budding gardener and those pesky weeds seem to be getting on your nerves, then it might be high time to get yourself a weed whacker. With this, you no longer need to spend hours in the sun, hunched over your pulling roots. Weed whackers make it extremely fast to carry the most monotonous gardening task out there. With the increased efficiency, it means that you can now spend your time in some of the more exciting endeavors. Weed whackers are the power tools when it comes to gardening. At the snap of a finger, you have a fresh, well-cut garden just in time for spring.