It is not hard to tell what exactly a screwdriver is. They are the hand-operated tools used for fixing screws or removing them. Screwdrivers are used most commonly in every household for basic fixing or plumbing because they make an essential part of any tool kit. They are useful majorly in mechanics and machines for a proper fix. So dive deep to get details about how to use a screwdriver, Its types and features.
What is a Screwdriver?
It is a kind of traditional tool and has evolved. A basic regular screwdriver simply consists of a handle and a shaft. The shaft goes into the screw, and it is rotated either way based on the requirement. Though a simple screwdriver is multi purposely used, many specific purpose screwdrivers are used at present. For instance, if you have to work on electrical equipment, you should use an insulated screwdriver to save yourself from electricity.
Different Types of Screwdrivers
Modern-day has called upon the need for specialized screwdrivers that serve the application rather than one all-purpose screwdriver. Based on their heads or the shafts, several screwdrivers are available in the market. They serve the purpose of fixing more things than just screws. They are commonly differentiated based on their faces or structure, which are:
Flathead screwdrivers are one of the old monks and the most basic category models. As the name already suggests, their head is flat, and they are for screws with lining across their diameters. Though they can also be used for a different purpose, considering their size compared to a screw.
Phillips Head Screwdriver
The Phillip head screwdrivers are cross-shaped and are used at homes. Also called a cross screwdriver, they are common and universal when used. They can signal when your screw is fixed, while they could also damage your screw. So, it’s a 50-50 compatibility with these kinds. Pozidriv screwdrivers are like an update of the Phillips’s head. They have a reduced tendency of slipping out while fixing.
Star or the Torx screwdriver is a six-sided screwdriver used to fix smaller screws. They are known for their resistance against camming out (slipping away) when much torque is applied. Similar are square-shaped screws. They are also invented to reduce the cam out while fixing screws.
Hex screwdrivers are used to fix hex screws. These screwdrivers come accompanied by tools that fit in the screwdriver’s holes. They come with hex tools or keys, an L-shaped tool that fits the hex screwdriver.
Insulated screwdrivers are used for safety purposes. Electricians mainly use them. In cases when electrical equipment is in contact, these tools that are composed of insulating objects such as rubber are used.
A tri wing or a precision screwdriver is not a common type of screwdriver. They are used for comparatively smaller objects. A tri-wing screwdriver operates on small objects such as cameras and mobiles. In comparison, precision tools go beyond that and are used for watches.
How to Use a Screwdriver?
A screwdriver’s primary function is to tighten or lose any screw. Before you know how to use a screwdriver, which is very easy, make sure you keep the tool clean and sharp enough. Otherwise, it could cause trouble while you work. Besides, keep your hand and the handle clean to avoid slipping away as you could hurt yourself in such a situation. It is one harmful tool, so you make sure to carry it only in the toolbox without putting much of a stunt. Now, follow these few steps to ensure you fixed that screw right:
- Hold the screwdriver position carefully, insert it in the screw lining and tighten your grip.
- You can put both your hands on the handle near the screw.
- Now, slowly start applying force along with rotation on either side.
- If you tighten the screw, move it clockwise slowly without allowing a cam-out.
- Keep applying force with the rotation until the screw is fixed in its position and the tool is no more moving.
The process is easy and quick if you make sure the contact between screw and screwdriver is precise. It would save you energy, effort, and harm, just in case.
Things to Avoid While Using a Screwdriver
Have you ever seen a movie where the killer uses a screwdriver for serial murders? Well, that is how much a screwdriver can be harmful, so you should better handle them with care. Tools, in general, can be harmful if not used with care. Especially tools like sharp-edged screwdrivers need a full understanding of the factors that could invite trouble.
- Make sure to keep them in a toolbox and not in your pockets. Screwdrivers can puncture things.
- Before you start working, check if the screwdriver tips are sharp-edged enough. If it is not, the work might not be done.
- Do not use a sweaty-hands. They can often slip and harm you as well as obstruct your work. The same goes with the handle; keep it clean.
- Do not play around without insulator screwdrivers if you are working on electrical equipment. You might turn into ashes.
- Use the tool only on your screws to tighten them. Do not punch things using a screwdriver, and it does not work that way.
- Find the right size of the driver for the screw. Wrong fitting would only lead to a waste of time. The work would not be done.
- Keep it rust-free to keep it working.
A screwdriver is an easy tool when used to work on screws. Do not use it as an alternative to any other tool and keep it in good condition, and you can then use it for years.
How to Choose Right Screwdriver?
There is no shortage of the types of screwdrivers needed these days, and thus you make sure to pick the right kind of tool to fulfill your tooling purpose.
- Firstly, you need to examine the screw head or objects you are dealing with.
- Find a driver head that matches your screw head.
- Determine the size of the screw and likewise choose the screwdriver’s size.
- Now, understand the type of screwdriver needed to accomplish the task. For instance, working with an electrical appliance? Get an insulator tool.
- Need to fix some phone screws, pick a precision or tri-wing screwdriver.
- Trying to fix electronic components or watches opt for best precision screwdriver set.
- Learn it’s working, and then you make it work.
So, to sum up, the whole screwing part, screwdrivers have become essential in the world of mechanics (just in case you didn’t know). Therefore, if you want anything from a small watch to an enormous car, you need a screwdriver to create it or fix it. Practice caution, learn a bit of science, and you are good to do some home fixing for free. You do not have to be a pro, only if you know how much torque can be applied at once? What size of a screwdriver would go with a particular size of screw? Which kind do I need for this purpose? What are safety conditions? If you have answers to these questions, you are ready to use this fancy, simple tool and get a go at it.