Imagine being a new dog parent and finding it confusing and don’t know how to put on a dog harness?. At first, putting on a harness may seem confusing and struggling. But once you master the steps, you can easily pull off this process. A dog harness helps prevent your dog from slipping while walking sessions. The harness is a great training tool and reduces the risk of neck injury. It discourages pulling and allows the owner to stop the dog from unnecessary jumping. With the different types of harnesses for dogs available, you might wonder which one is best for your pup and how to use them. This guide will give you all the essential information about dog harnesses.
Different Types of Dog Harnesses
The first step includes determining the type of harness you need to use for your dog. Before selecting a particular type of harness, be aware of its pros and cons.
Read on to learn about dog harness types and how to put them on.
#1 Step In Harness
A step in dog harness requires your pet to step in with his front paws and buckles at the back. Not aware how to put on a dog harness? follow these simple steps:
- First, unbuckle the harness and place it on the ground.
- Place your dog’s front paws into the respective loops of the harness. Some harnesses have instructions as to which loop is for which paw. Make sure to follow those instructions.
- Now, pull the harness up onto your dog’s body. Remember, the harness should fit around the dog’s body, not his neck.
- Slide the two pieces of the clip together to tug it properly. Adjust the harness on the dog at the dog’s convenience.
NOTE: Avoid buckling the clips tightly. It may make your dog feel uncomfortable.
#2 Front Clip Harness
The front clip dog harness has a leash tie in front it. This type of strap helps decrease the dog’s pulling on the leash. The dog chest harness ring gives you better control of the dog’s direction. Follow the steps below to put on a no pull dog harness
- Command your dog to stand and stay in position. Then, kneel to the right side of your dog.
- Putting the tackle loop over the dog’s head would be best. Make sure the metal ring for the dog harness and leash is at the center of your dog’s chest.
- Now, reaching underneath your puppy’s belly, tug the belly strap.
- The Last step is to adjust the harness to fit your dog’s body. And now you both are ready for a long calming walk.
#3 Overhead Harness
- First, undo the clips. Once the clips are undone, identify the neck hole.
- You know the neck hole, so slip your dog’s head through the neckpiece.
- Place the bottom straps down under his belly and the top strap across your dog’s back.
- Now, clasp the straps together to fit the harness onto your dog’s body properly. Check the strap placement so the harness should fit below the neck of the dog. This will ensure the safety of his throat.
#4 Dual Ring Harness
- Worried how to put on a dog harness? No worries, Instruct your dog to sit or stand and stay in position for a few minutes.
- Slip the harness over your dog’s head and make sure the D-ring is on his back.
- Now, slip the dog’s leg through the leg loop of the harness and then the other one.
- Ensure that the legs are in between the loop that goes around the ribs and another loop that goes around his neck.
- Clasp the harness and adjust it properly around your dog’s body. If it is difficult to buckle the straps, then loose their strap.
After successfully putting on a dog harness, reward your pet with a treat and praise him for showing that he did a great job. This will make him happy and also increase the mutual bond between you two. It is recommended to yoke your dog as it is a great tool for training and your dog’s safety. Use a well-fitting best dog harness which is suitable for your dog’s type. Harnesses allow the dog owner to control the directions he is moving.
A dog harness with handle will help you keep your best friend close without any risk of the leash accidentally catching on anything and causing a fall. When you pull your dog or stop him from jumping, his neck can be hurt. So, to avoid any injury to your pup, it is preferable always to use a dog harness for walking.
How to Measure a Dog For a Harness?
- When selecting a harness for your dog, it doesn’t seem easy to decide what size is perfect. If the correct harness size is not selected for your dog, he may feel uncomfortable wearing it. Choosing the easy dog harness according to the size and weight of your pup is preferable.
- Using the tape measure method, you can measure your dog for the harness. For this, you only need a flexible tape measure, a ruler, and a notebook to mention the measures.
- You need two measurements: the dog’s chest measure and his neck measure.
- Be mindful of the straps, clips, or buckles. These should not be difficult to put together, and the material should be soft and calming. Try to take your pup with you if you purchase the harness for the first time. Try on a few options on him to ensure that the harness fits him properly and perfectly.
Typically, the harness size is determined as per the measurements of the dog’s ribs and chest.
How to Put on a dog Harness?
Each type of harness has its way when putting it. Each type of tackle requires your dog either to step on it or to slip your dog’s head over the harness.
- For putting on a harness, you first need to get your pup used to how to put it on.
- Have your dog stand or sit still for a few moments. You should also teach your dog to put his paws through the straps.
We have already discussed the step-by-step process of how to put a dog on a harness. Please go through it and understand the tips you need to follow to harness your pup with different harnesses.
Putting your dog into a harness can be tricky and confusing. Your dog might sometimes refuse to be harnessed. And even getting him still in one position can be challenging. The above steps will make it easy to put a harness. Be aware of how your pet behaves when putting on the harness. Sometimes, he may feel uncomfortable, or the clips might be too tight for him. If your dog refuses to be harnessed, do not force or tug him. Remember to behave nicely and affectionately with him. When you are done with putting a harness on him, give him some treats and do praise him.