Because of some unknown evil sorcery, homemade food is always associated with a bland diet. Probably because of how processed food is marketed, “a change from the daily boring food with some colourful, barely nutritious food”. As tempting as processed food might appear, they are not the best diet one should indulge in. It applies not only to us but also to our lovely “doggo.” And if you are wondering how to make dog food, follow the home made dog food recipes below to make delicious food for your pets.
What are the Benefits of Homemade Dog Food?
#1 Dodging those Fillers and Processed Stuff
Homemade fresh dog food has several nutritious ingredients. The owner can choose these ingredients and make your own dog food according to the convenience.
Unlike home cooked dog food, certain commercial fresh pet dog food possesses low-quality fillers that are a cheap shot by companies at saving money. It added them to bulk the product in quantity and make the bag appear filled with the product up to the brim. These filler ingredients lack nutrition and pass through your dogs digestive system, creating more waste.
#2 No Added Preservatives
Every commercial dog food has preservatives, and it must avoid them. They can accelerate or bring in health issues in a healthy dog with continuous consumption. Thus, the best homemade dog food recipes allow us to move away from these to a healthier meal without these chemicals. After all, they are our friends and not some test tubes to hold these toxic chemicals.
You can customize your dog’s food to cater to their body weight and nutritional requirements, avoid allergies, and ensure you serve a variety of tastes. To develop a dreamy meal plan for your fur friend, you could consult the dogs vet and devise a list of ingredients to meet their daily dose of nutrients.
#4 Food Quality
Unlike commercial dog food, homemade dog food lets you completely control what goes into your dog’s bowl. You ensure its food is of high quality. It allows you to serve dogs with the best without burning a hole in your pocket, which brings us to our last point.
For a dog food healthy going with homemade recipes can be less expensive than commercial food if planned intricately to inculcate less expensive ingredients and have full nutritional value. Sometimes the food can be made with already available ingredients and often won’t require you to buy anything different from your daily list of groceries.
So now that we have presented a strong case in favor of homemade puppy food, we hope we have convinced you (fingers crossed). But if you are still trying to convince or are wondering where to begin this journey from? Let us present to you some of the easily curated best dog food recipes.
How To Make Dog Food? | Step-by-step Process
We bring to you three of the top-rated healthy dog food recipes online to help you with how to make dog food. They do not require fancy ingredients, are easy to make, don’t take up much time and are nutritionally rich. Below are the recipes to aid you with how to make homemade dog food:
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 pounds of ground turkey
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup peas, canned or frozen
- In a large saucepan, pour 3 cups of water.
- Cook your rice and set it aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large stockpot or Dutch oven.
- Add ground turkey to it and cook till brown (3-5 minutes). Remember to crumble the turkey as it cooks.
- Stir in veggies like spinach, carrots, zucchini, peas, and brown rice until the spinach has wilted. Heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Let it cool completely and then serve the food in one of your pet’s favorite dog food bowls.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 salmon portions SKIN ON (1 oz per 10 pounds of the dog plus any amount you would like
- 1 squash
- 1 head of broccoli (with stem)
- 3 potatoes (any kind)2 carrots
- Cut broccoli stem, peel carrots and other veggies. Mix the peels and steam in a rice cooker or bake.
- Air fry the potato shavings using olive oil.
- At a medium temperature, pan-fried salmon with a little olive oil with its skin on. Once done, pull the salmon skin off and place them in the dog bowl.
- Once finished cooking, mix it all in a dog bowl. Chop it to a small bite-size.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups sweet potato, cubed
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into 6 pieces each
- 2 pounds frozen mixed veggies (peas, green beans, carrots)
- Place ingredients in a slow cooker in the order listed, covering chicken completely with vegetables
- Cook for 5 hours on high or 8 hours on low
- Remove from the slow cooker, shred chicken and stir into rice and veggie mixture until dispersed.
- Store covered in the fridge for up to three days or freeze in single-serve portions.
- Pro Tip: Mix some bone broth powder into the stew. It is so healthy, and dogs love the taste.
The recipes mentioned above indeed sound delicious. Homemade pet food can be one of the best things you could do for your dog after the pat-pat they love so much. And as most people admit, their dogs are their children. Then remember to cook for your furry kids. They would love it, enjoy it and savour it. And also you can even mix any medication like flea and tick meds in these foods to make your pet intake them without any fuss. It would bring them tons of nutrition and lower their exposure to chemicals and whatnot. So love your “doggo” and cook for them.