Pet animals are very protective of their home and owner. Animals such as cats and dogs will assert dominance around the house when introduced to a stranger, be it a man or an animal. Suppose you are thinking of bringing a new pet animal into your house. In that case, you should thoroughly research the consequences and special steps that can be anticipated. So once you bring in your new pet, go slow with the introduction. This article will explore the steps and guidelines on how to introduce cats to each other.
How to Introduce a Kitten to a Cat?
When it comes to kittens, you have to be extra cautious as they are very fragile and can be harmed easily. The basic problem of adjustment is for sure to exist. So to counter those adjustment issues, you have to take preventive steps. It is the best way to introduce cats. After following all the steps, there won’t be any casualties, and the risk factor too comes down substantially.
Here are a few steps you can follow to introduce to new kitten to your kitty:
First, maintain a safe distance so that even if something goes wrong, you can handle it. The distance is required because when new animals or a new environment is introduced, your pet remains on guard, and any feeling of threat can lead to a severe fight. On the other hand, cats are quite possessive about their owners and house and often do not like to share their space. So put a leash or create a barrier so no major injuries occur.
Next, you have to make a plan on how to handle aggression and resistance. The introductory phase is extensive and usually takes a month or two to get settled in for the cats. This does not mean you will isolate them and deprive them of their company. If you deprive them of the new company, it will only foster more severe aggression. A very common situation of aggression is when they play.
Mostly your cats won’t get into a fight, but sometimes, while playing, one of your cats might turn aggressive and threaten the other cat continuously. This involves cat arching back and hissing. These are the warning signs when introducing cats. The best way to avoid two cats fighting is by engaging them in different activities or distracting them from the fight. You can use a self-made barrier using cardboard and other scrap materials.
Give them separate places to sleep and rest for the first few weeks or days. Suppose you try to indulge them in being together from the very start. In that case, it might not result in a very favorable circumstance. So ensuring proper space between your cat and the new kitten is essential while figuring out how to introduce a kitten to a cat.
How to Introduce Cats to Each Other?
Introducing cats to each other can be more difficult than introducing kittens. Here is a step-by-step guide for introducing adult cats and how to get cats to like each other.
- After bringing your new cat home, give it time to understand and process its new environment. Pets are always on their guard when they are present around unfamiliar surroundings. You should at least wait 2-3 weeks before you try to acquaint your cats.
- While your new cat settles in, take a few small steps for the future meet. The best way to do that is by introducing the new cat to the smell of the present cat. This can be achieved by giving them clothes or any other material that smells like your old cat. This will ensure that when the two cats meet, the smell won’t alien to them. You can do this to your old cat as well. Exchange their beds or other stuff so that they at least get familiar with the new smell.
- After the settling phase, slowly make them stay in one room. First, just let them have a distant look. Do not make them play or engage together so soon. Keep it to a simple glimpse for the time being. But if you notice no hostility among the cats, you can let them engage with one another by using means like interactive toys for cats. Still, make sure you keep an eye on them.
- After 2-3 weeks, it is time for them to meet properly. Bring out cats from their rooms and let them interact slowly. Make sure everything is under control. Reward cat with treats for its good behavior so that your pet will try to behave properly.
- You have to let them have their meals separately. Because during eating, animals are on their guard and do not like when something else tries to prey on their food. So feed them on their respective plates.
If you follow these steps on how to introduce cats you can make your feline well acquainted in no time. These steps are generally for very aggressive pets and not so playful. Suppose your pet is quite accustomed to changes and a new environment. In that case, you should avoid any major trouble introducing your cat to the new member.
Considerations Before Bringing a New Cat Home
Before you decide to bring home a new kitty, make sure you have the tools and materials required to maintain a pet. Observe your existing cat and list how it reacts to change. If the response is too aggressive, you will need to delay your plans to get a new pet.
You will also have to give them a lot of time. So if you work in a 9-5 job, you shouldn’t get a second pet because the introductory phase is quite long and tiresome. If you decide to get a second pet, ensure the existing one does not feel isolated. In most cases, the pets get aggressive due to their lack of attention.
Things to Avoid When Introducing Two Cats
You need to consider a few things while introducing a new cat to another cat. As it is quite a messy process, you should avoid doing these things –
- After bringing a new cat home, don’t force the cats meeting. Give your cats some time, and they shall interact at their convenience. Forcing the interaction will create aggression.
- Give them the meals separately. Providing meals in a single dish is not a very good idea. That will make your cats fight.
- Do not punish your cat for fighting by beating them. This will not reduce the problem but will only amplify it.
- Take your time for introducing two felines. Pets take their time to settle in and get accustomed to the new environment and members.
Getting a new pet can be very tiresome and challenging if you already have one pet. You can follow a few things to lessen the burden of the whole introductory phase. You could also consult your vet and ask for tips on how to introduce cats to each other. But do not worry, as the aggressive phase persists only for a short time while introducing two cats. Usually, in a month, everything settles down, and your cats become accustomed to the presence of each other.