Dogs are the most obedient members of a household and are adorable. However, these cute innocent creatures occasionally lose control of their bladder. They pee anywhere in your house, especially on the carpets and rugs. And every dog owner faces this kind of accident from time to time. You cannot always help them go out that too at the most inappropriate time. So, being a dog parent, you need to learn not to blame your dog whenever such a misfortunate thing happens. The biggest disadvantage of dog pee is that the scent takes a long time to fade away, even after cleaning it. However, we have discovered a few fast remedies that will eliminate the dog’s urine immediately. Here, we have mentioned methods for you on how to get dog pee out of carpet.
Why is My Dog Peeing on the Carpet?
Peeing on the carpet is common, and it is perfectly reasonable and sensible for your dog. Here are a few reasons behind your dog peeing on your carpet-
- Carpet absorbs moisture, which helps keep your dog’s paws dry. Therefore it likes to pee in a place where its paws do not get easily wet.
- Maybe your pet was raised somewhere outside, and potty training lessons didn’t take place.
- Dogs don’t like to pee where they sleep. That’s why these pets pee in the first place, located outside their kennel.
- Most canine owners like to buy potty pads for their pets. If your dog is peeing on the carpet instead of on its pad, then you should change the pad. Your dog might dislike its color and shape!
- If your dog is housetrained and still pees on your carpet, take it to the vet. Ensure that it is not due to UTI, any other medical condition, or stress-based response.
What are the Tools Needed to Clean Pee Stains?
Before you start cleaning and try to know how to get dog pee out of carpet, make sure you have all the supplies. This includes-
- Rubber Gloves – Gloves are necessary to protect your skin while cleaning.
- Paper Towels- Paper towels are helpful in dabbing or soaking the products. These things help you in knowing how to get dried dog pee out of carpet DIY.
- Distilled White Vinegar- This naturally acidic chemical is one of the most useful household cleaning agents, and it’s undoubtedly in your cupboard. It effectively removes and disinfects stains. White vinegar helps you learn how to get dog pee stain out of carpet.
- Empty Spray Bottle- Bottles are used for mixing various cleaning solutions.
- Baking Soda- Baking soda is useful as a natural deodorizer frequently. This is normally sprayed during the final steps of stain removal to remove pet scents. So with this thing, one can know how to get rid of dog pee smell in carpet.
- Dish Sponge- To loosen the grip of stubborn stains like dried pee and feces on the carpet, dab them with a dish sponge.
- Trash Can- To remove the used-up towels and gloves one can use a trash can.
How to Get Dog Pee Out of Carpet?
- Step 1 – For soaking up the urine, use a thick layer of paper towel. Remove as much moisture as possible by dabbing the paper towel over the urine. Paper towel works best for blotting stains of pee.
- Step 2 – Dilute the vinegar in empty spray bottles. Make sure to prepare the pet odor eliminator in a 1:1 ratio. Later, spray it over the pee. To make sure the vinegar is appropriate for your carpet, do a spot test in the corner of the carpet.
- Step 3 – After spraying the solution, let it sit for a few minutes. Use the paper towels again to blot the solution. Also, this solution helps you with how to get old dog urine smell out of carpet.
- Step 4 – Now it’s time to remove the odor. Baking soda is the best ingredient to remove the stubborn odor from a carpet. Sprinkle the baking soda and allow it to sit for the next 15-20 minutes. The longer it sits, the better it removes the odor.
- Step 5 – Once it is completely dry, vacuum the carpet. Vacuuming helps to remove the remains of soda and vinegar residue.
- Step 6 – Finally, for better hygiene, throw the towel and your used gloves in the trash can.
How to Teach your Dog to Pee Outside, Not on the Carpet?
To begin with, potty training your dog is hard labor. If you have a puppy, it probably doesn’t know that peeing on a carpet is a huge problem. Here are a few steps that will help you to potty train your dog-
- Record the peeing time of your dog. Most pups like to pee either early in the morning or the evening. So take your puppy outside for a walk at that time so that it can pee accordingly. Reward your canine if necessary.
- Every time it is not favorable to take your dog outside. Buy a potty pad for your loyal buddy. Watch the peeing position of your pet. Most dogs like to pee while lifting their legs up. As soon as your pet is in that position, bring the pad below it. With time and practice, your dog will come to know that the pad is for peeing.
- Try not to scare or scold your loyal buddy. Training needs time and patience. So scolding or scaring the pooch will not help. They will make mistakes but train them every day with patience.
- Supervise it accordingly. Make sure you are training it in the correct way. Whether training it to pee outside or on dog pee pads, make sure your main motive is to make it pee away from your carpet.
- Make sure to thoroughly clean the areas or the pee pads for dogs with a product designed specifically for dog urine. To you, regular household cleaners may remove the appearance and smell of your dog’s pee, but you’ll need something to break down the enzymes so your pet doesn’t mistake your carpet for a bathroom. So, with these steps you can easily find a way about how to get dog urine smell out of carpet.
Teaching your dog ‘how not to pee on your carpet’ is difficult. But if you train it consistently and with patience, your pet won’t bother you for long. So, keep calm and follow the above processes to train your pet. With patience, your pet can become the most-disciplined one. Besides, until your pet learns how to pee outside, here are some methods you can find on how to get dog pee out of carpet and what neutralizes dog urine.