You might be definitely aware of pipes used at home that force water for various purposes like washing or gardening. Except, these homely pipes are certainly hard to deal with when compared to a hose, which is something you will be learning today. And that is why everyone prefers hoses over those homely pipes. A garden hose reel is a flexible cylindrical source of larger lengths to facilitate the movement of fluids to a particular destination. They are sometimes also referred to as pipes. So let us understand about how to connect a hose to a hose reel for effective usage.
What is a Hose?
Have you ever watered your plants using a pipe? Well, if you did, you might have used a hose for yourself. The huge pipes that facilitate a fluent movement of any fluid are what you call a hose. To be more precise, these tubes help control any fluids’ force of movement. Moreover, a hose’s basic structures, like size, weight, pressure as well as length, are determined to enforce performance.
Usually, they vary in types depending on their uses. Some include:
- Chemical Hoses
- Petroleum Hoses
- Abrasive Hoses
- Air Hoses
- Water Hoses
What is a Hose Reel?
For instance, a garden hose would serve for gardening, i.e., watering plants, but one might need another kind of pipe in case of fire extinguishing, like one with a hose reel. Now comes the question as to what exactly is a hose reel? Well, a hose is a pipe, whereas a reel, in general, is a cylindrical object around which you wrap things with the help of hose guide rollers. Are you familiar with the term film reels popular at earlier times? Well, similar is the relation between a pipe and its reel.
You must have seen a hose or pipe wrapped around a large cylindrical mechanism. That is exactly what a water hose reel is. These reels are storage for a pipe to facilitate easy and immediate access to it in case of any emergency use. For instance, firefighters drag the hose out of its reel in most fire cases. Such a mechanism allows smooth and uninterrupted movement without consuming unnecessary time. Besides, these reels are manually operated machines but require less work for rolling hose reel than the manual folding of a hose. Although, at present, there are motor-driven self winding garden hose reels available that can operate with just a single push of a button. Overall, they are mostly used for fire hose or petrochemical affairs.
How to Set Up a Hose Reel?
Some individuals might find it difficult to connect a hose to its reel. However, with proper knowledge, that so-called difficult job will become a child’s play in no time. But, before connecting it, put it in the sunlight for some time. This process will soften a pipe and ease the process of its winding onto a reel. Later, to know how to use hose reel? follow these procedural steps-
- Be ready with your hose, reel, and kit. Your hose would come with a hose clamp, nut bolt, a kink-free spring, and a hex key wrench.
- Firstly, take the pipe and put it through a reel’s flange.
- Next, pull it through to create a big enough loop so that your pipe doesn’t bend or interrupt any fluid movement.
- Now, take its spring and put it inside the hose from a narrow end.
- You can now connect your pipe with the spring’s broad end to the reel (swivel). Make sure the loop is big enough, and then move your reel to complete one roll cycle of your pipe.
- Now, you would need to take the hose clamp and position it on the pipe in the hose flange’ hole.
- Later, put a screw through the clamp into the hole and tighten it using a hex key.
- Finally, roll the hose on the reel with its handle steadily.
- Whole attachment process is done. Simply turn the cam lever brake on now to start using your hose.
Benefits of a Hose Reel
While a hose reel allows smooth and faster movement of your hose, do not mistake that it is all it does. A good hose reel would also protect a pipe from abrasions and sunlight that could crack its material. Vinyl or rubber pipes, which are common types, need good protection because if not, they could wear out or crack, making them no more useful. In such adversity, reels preserve and prevent them from deteriorating. Besides, there are some other benefits of a hose reel which are as follows:
- If you have a long pipe, a garden hose wheel will keep it neatly coiled and easily available to use without any trouble.
- Moreover, spring-driven models have a self-retracting feature that allows a pipe’s coiling on its own, further removing manual efforts.
- For more relaxation, one could implant a motor in their reels and just push a button to finish their job.
- Using a reel will keep a yard tidy without any pipe spread or bundled in a place. Additionally, there will be no more tripping off.
- Also, one can minimize untangling those annoyingly tangled pipes.
- If you have to maintain both front and back yard with a single device then you can get a portable water hose reel.
Ans: Common types of hose reels are motor-driven, spring-driven and manually operated. Motor-driven and spring-driven ones are those that do not need manual effort. Whereas manually operated ones need human efforts. Speaking about a reel’s material, it can either be plastic or metal. Try and prefer metal kinds as they are more comfortable, reliable and durable.
Ans: You need to connect your hose reel close to the source of water, that is, a faucet at a proper height so that it is easy to reach
Ans: For that, make sure that your machine is rustproof, and for that, you should ensure a regular check on it. Also, check if there are any leaks, and in case there are any, use rubber grommets to fix them.
Ans: If you come across the term female end, it refers to a hose’s end, which has a thread connected on its inside. Female couplings are those that have a connection with a faucet or a fluid source.
Ans: If it is a self winding hose reel then a simple push of the button can wind up the entire hose. But if you are dealing with a manual or DIY garden hose reel then use one hand as a guide to hose while using the other hand rotate the reel in any direction. Once the hose started to wind up neatly around the wheel then you can speed up the rotating process while still guiding the hose with hand.
Hose reels serve as a great way of accessing a pipe in any situation. It is fairly easy to use either of the two with a little understanding of their mechanism and setup. Hose reels are essential in every sphere of life and work, be it for gardening, fire extinguishing, or the chemical and petroleum industry. Moreover, these reels would allow keeping long pipes intact in one place without much headache and available for immediate use. Advancement in technology is growing and becoming better every day, where accessing hoses from reels is even simpler and effective.