Dogs are very playful animals, and they love outdoor time. If you own a dog, taking them for a walk is extremely important. They need a lot of exercise to remain healthy both mentally and physically. Now how often do you walk your dog depends on a few factors, such as the breed and age of the dog. Primarily based on these two factors, it is decided if the outdoor times are to be a lot or limited. But you should understand that irrespective of the breed and age of the dog, it still needs exercise. In this article, you will find the number of times your dog needs to go for a walk.
How Often Do You Walk Your Dog?
A question arises, when can I take my puppy for a walk and the importance of walking a dog. As pet parents, we know that a dog’s nature is very active; therefore, they are physically active most of the time. Any confinement, be it the living room or the porch, could make your dog depressed and ill. Walks are very important for your dog’s physical and mental well-being. Keeping them in the house will also foster boredom in your dog, and boredom in dogs always results in destructive behavior. If your dog gets bored, you will always find half-eaten slippers, curtains, and many other household items. So to avoid such situations, you need to take them out for a walk so that they remain engaged and happy.
If you consider the health aspect, taking your dog for a walk or run balances the body fat they develop from eating their meals. It is to be noted that if you feed your dog many meals and do not bother to take it out for a walk, your dog will become obese and overweight. This will further amplify physical illnesses such as heart problems and diabetes.
Dog walks vs. Potty Breaks
There can be a difference between a normal dog walks and potty breaks. The basic difference between the two is that there is much wandering about in an exercise walk. In contrast, in the case of potty breaks, you have to stick to the main objective, and unless your dog is over with its business, you cannot just wander about. You can schedule your dog’s potty breaks in different ways. One of the most efficient ways of setting up a schedule is by letting your dog go outdoors after a meal, usually after lunch and dinner. You should use a dog walking leash so that your pooch does not wander around.
What are the Benefits of Walking your Dog Regularly?
Before getting into the durations and number of times a walk is needed for a dog, let us first look at the benefits of walking.
- Maintainance of physical health.
- Maintainance of mental health.
- Muscle development.
- Improving the digestive system and better bowel regulation.
- If the dog suffers from obesity, walking can help maintain the extra body fat.
Now, these are the benefits of walking dogs and the reason why you should take your dog out for walks regularly.
How often should you walk your dog?
Now, how often do you walk your dogand how much exercise does a dog need? Depending on the breed and size of your dog, the number of walks your dog needs will differ. In general, a dogs walk should be at least 15 mins. Depending on your dog’s physical strength and enthusiasm, you can extend it to 30 – 40 minutes.
If we consider the dog breed, there are different categories, such as athletic dogs, old dogs, dogs with lots of furs, etc. these categories hold different walking times for each. For example, athletic dogs such as german shepherds, labradors, and retrievers need to be walked for almost an hour. You can extend the time but not more than two hours. These dogs are meant for intense physical activity, and their muscle growth is developed to endure long and heavy physical activities.
Now for dogs not meant for rigorous training and physical activities, the walking time is less. Their walking time can range from 30-40 mins maximum and not more than that. Some examples of such dog breeds are Pomeranian, Shi Tzu, and beagle.
Dog Walking Tips
Before getting ready to walk a dog, you should buy certain things for them. You will need a dog collar and a leash. Now there are different types of dog collars. If you feel that the collar is a bit harsh on your dog, you could also get a vest. Vests are usually the best for walking the dogs. But you will have to wait until your dog is of a certain height, as vests are available for medium-sized and large-sized dogs.
Here are a few tips for Walking the Dogs
- Let them have their time while they are on a walk. Make sure you do not interrupt while they are exploring nature by sniffing around the area. If they eat something, they are not supposed to, and you can intervene but not while they get familiar with the place.
- You could select a safe area and try to make it your dog’s favorite spot; that way, it will come to the same spot every day.
- Ensure you keep your dog hydrated enough while going for hikes and long walks. You can carry a small dog backpack with supplies such as biscuits and a water bottle for your dog. It is healthier if your dog gets water frequently while on a long hike. This is very important during hot summer as the dog precipitates more than usual, and dehydration is very common.
- If you are new to training a dog and cannot make it focus while walking, using dog treats is a good way of making your canine buddy focus. Dogs often tend to divert from their objective and wander around. Although exploring is very important, you must ensure they stay focused on their path. Using treats is one of the most efficient and valuable approaches for training.
- You should have an identity badge for your dog as sometimes, when they wander around too much, they might get lost. So to prevent any major problem, always attach a dog badge to your pup’s collar so that if it ever gets lost, people can contact you if found.
- Let your dog interact with other dogs in the park only if you are confident that nothing can go wrong. Train your dog in a way that it understands commands; for example, if you say “stop,” it should stop growling or doing the activity you want to refrain from doing.
A dog’s physical and mental health is essential, and under no circumstance should a dog be depressed. So make sure you get all the gear and equipment for a pleasant and beautiful walk. Walking outdoors in nature will prove to be very beneficial to both you and your dog!