Best Indoor Paint
Rust-Oleum 331181A3 Painter’s Touch Spray Paint
- One Can covers up to 12 sq. ft. and it dries within 20 minutes
- Its Ultra matte finish gives a vintage appearance to your projects
- This oil-based product ensures long-lasting protection
Krylon Fusion All-in-one Spray Paint K02766007
- This all-in-one spray is suitable for both indoor/outdoor projects
- Without sanding or priming, you can spray on various difficult surfaces
- Its easy push button spray tip allows you to spray upside down
Rust-Oleum 7770830 Stops Rust Spray Paint
- Comes with Rust and Weather resistant coating for extra protection
- Single Can covers surface up to 15 sq ft and takes 2 to 4 hours to dry
- Glossy protective enamel gives a fresh shine to your projects
If you are someone who likes to decor and maintains every object in your house, then you must be familiar with the frustration that follows when your beloved metal chair, artifact, or any such item starts to fade its beauty with time. As days go by, any painted object can lose its shine and color. In such cases, the best and affordable option would be to repaint it. But, using conventional paint and brush to color your metal objects might not be the most efficient way. A interior/exterior spray paint, in this case, would be an ideal choice.
Using spray paint, you can achieve great finishing along with a glossy surface. They are comparatively more durable than latex paint and also save valuable time. Along with all the benefits, spraying paint provides a sense of satisfaction to the painter. You don’t have to be an artist to spray paint things. Some people like to use it on different objects in their free time. So, for anyone who needs to buy good spraypaint, we have curated a list of the best spray paint for metal available on Amazon.
14 Best Metal Spray Paint Reviews
- Best Indoor Spray Paint: Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch 2X Ultra Cover Spray Paint
- All-in-one Paint: Krylon Fusion All-In-One Spray Paint
- Rust-resistant: Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Protective Spraypaint
- Best Metallic: Rust-Oleum Universal Metallic Spray Paint
- Easy to Apply: Rust-Oleum Chalked Ultra Matte Spray Paint
- Great for Multi-surface: ColorBond Acura TLX Espresso LVP Refinisher
- Heat-resistant: Dupli-Color Metal Cast Anodized Color
- Moisture-resistant: Krylon Crystal Clear 1303 Acrylic Paint
- Commercial Pick: Rust-Oleum Professional High Performance Enamel
- Gas and Oil Resistant: Rust-Oleum High Heat Spray Can Paint
- Value for Money: Krylon ColorMaster Paint and Primer
- Long-lasting: Minwax Semi-Gloss Fast Drying Polyurethane
- Weather-resistant: Rust-Oleum 252462 Automotive Enamel
1. Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch 2X 331181A3 Ultra Cover Metal Spray Bottles
The first product on our list is the Rust-Oleum 331181A3 Painter’s Touch 2X Cover Spray Paint, 3 Pack, Ultra Matte White. We admired this product the most because of its ultra-matte finish. Also, there are many positive reviews. So it secured the top position on our list. Rust-Oleum 331181A3 is compatible with spray painting both the interior and exterior of any object. Not only for metals, but it can also be used on a wide range of surfaces starting from wood, plastic to unglazed ceramic. It features an oil-based formula which gave our painted item a good finish. Usually, paints have an uncomfortable odor, but we did not face any such problem with this spray paint.
The best part about using this product is choosing from the 127 different colors of paint available. The colors included are unique and difficult to find. This spray paint had a good coverage area and did not drip much. It can dry within twenty minutes, which saves much time. The wide finger pad makes the whole process mess-free and easier. This paint brings out a deep and rich color with a matte finish. From our experience, we were very satisfied with the Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch.
- The paint is well suited for all types of surfaces such as plastic, wood, metal, and unglazed ceramic
- The product is very long-lasting and avoids any chipping on the surface edges
- Entire Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch 2X can cover up to an area of 12 sq. ft. per
- It is an oil-based formula that produces a very negligible odor
2. Krylon Fusion All-In-One K02766007 Metal Primer Spray Paint
The second position is occupied by the Krylon K02766007 Fusion All-In-One Spray Paint for Indoor/Outdoor Use, Metallic Aluminum Silver. Krylon has been in the market for years and is trusted by many. This time too, they have maintained their standards with their spray paint. The Krylon product is an all-in-one spray paint. Not only does it paint, but it also delivers rust protection with good adhesion. It is ideal for painting any kind of difficult surface without priming or sanding. Thanks to the rust protection, you can keep the spray-painted items outside without having to worry. This way, along with looking good the metal will last long too.
The Krylon Fusion All-In-One K02766007 is available in different styles like matte, gloss, satin, flat, textured, and many more. Every style has its own quality, which looks good on any object. You can choose from the fifty-six color options to give your project a refreshing look. With a 12 oz can, we were able to cover an area of about 25 sq ft. We noticed that this Krylon product gave excellent results when sprayed from any direction, even upside down. Its dripping was manageable and did not cause any mess.
- The metallic silver paint avoids any corrosion formation on the surface of the metal
- A single can cover up to a surface of 25 sq. ft and dries out within 20 minutes
- One can spray in any direction, even in an upside-down direction
- This paint possesses good adhesion for any kind of surface
3. Rust-Oleum 7770830 Stops Rust Enamel Spray Paint for Metal
Rust-Oleum has made another appearance on our list. Here, the product we are talking about is the Rust-Oleum 7770830 Stops Rust Spray Paint, 12-Ounce, Gloss Almond. This spray paint features an oil-based formula that helps to protect your metal from rust. It is the ultimate solution for dull objects. It protects it from damage due to weather and corrosion and makes it long-lasting. We tried the Rust-Oleum Rust Resistant Paint on different surfaces like wood, concrete, masonry, metal, etc., and it worked great on each one. The glossy finish gave a classy and fresh look to the metal.
Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Spray Paint is available in a wide range of thirty-eight colors. It provides resistance to abrasion and chipping while giving a nice look to your painted object. The Rust-Oleum 7770830 takes its time to dry, but the results make the wait worthwhile. After about two to three hours, the paint was all dried up and ready to touch. The wide spray button makes using this product a very easy and mess-free job. All in all, we enjoyed using this Rust-Oleum product and were happy with the results.
- Oil-based formula can withstand any type of weather so well suited for interior and exterior use
- This paint prevents any abrasion, chipping, and fading on the metal surface
- A 15 sq. ft area can be covered using a single can
- This takes 2-4 hours to dry out and delivers a glossy finish
4. Rust-Oleum Universal 249132A2 All Surface Metallic Spray Paint for Metal
You can use this Rust-Oleum 249132A2 Universal All Surface Metallic Spray Paint on any surface, and it will give great results. Its oil-based formula avoids any fading and chipping. It is impressive to see that within 30 minutes of using this spray paint, our painted object was completely dry and ready to use. It saved us a lot of time and energy. This Rust-Oleum 249132A2 not only gives your product a better look but also makes it long-lasting. Its rust and corrosion protection will prevent your painted object from damage.
The Rust-Oleum Copper Spray Paint for Metal 249132A2 features an ergonomic cap. We noticed that this design helps to prevent finger fatigue. We tried using this from different angles and were satisfied with the results. The product coverage is very good, which makes the job of painting much easier. You can keep the spray-painted object outside and inside without having to worry about it getting damaged. UV protection does a good job in making this product long-lasting. Apart from this, you can choose from a variety of colors and finishes.
- A single can will cover an area of 15 sq. ft and its fast-drying formula dries out within 30 minutes
- It suits on almost all types of surfaces like concrete, fiberglass, metal and wood
- The paint is very durable and prevents any formation of rust and corrosion
- The oil based paint can cap is very ergonomic and easy to handle
5. Rust-Oleum 302596-2PK Chalked Clear Coat Spray Paint for Metal
The impressive Rust-Oleum 302596-2PK is a Chalked Ultra Matte Spray Paint. This product is ideal for anyone willing to give their home decor an interesting and refreshing look. You can choose from the options of twelve elegant colors and pick one for your household. You can use it on various surfaces like wood, metal, canvas, ceramic, and many more. Spray painting your project with this Rust-Oleum product will give it a classy vintage look. It results in an ultra-matte velvety look which adds to the style of your painted object.
We would recommend using the Rust-Oleum 302596-2PK for indoor purposes only. Its oil-based formula can effectively hide any previous wear and tears. We noticed that only one coat of this paint was more than enough on most surfaces. Though, glass-like surfaces may require two layers of coating. To get the best results, we would recommend washing and sand your object lightly before using it. This way, the final product comes out with a smooth and nice finishing.
- Oil-based formula is thick enough to give a good coverage for the surface
- The paint is well suited for various surfaces like ceramic, canvas, wood and metal
- Dries in 20 minutes and can cover an area upto 12 Sq. Ft
- This paint has a good adherence for easy application
6. ColorBond Acura TLX Espresso LVP Refinisher 3180 Toughest Spray Paint
We have the ColorBond (3180) Acura TLX Espresso Refinisher Spray Paint with a promising position on our list. This metal spray paint is the perfect choice for car lovers. Using this ColorBond product, you can transform the look of your car and give it a new look. It features a molecular bonding formula that enables the paint to penetrate deep into any kind of surface. Be it the bumper or the side view mirror. You can use this product on any part of the car. The ColorBond LVP Refinisher is formulated to match OEM levels for the exterior of your car.
The ColorBond is a fast-drying metal spray paint that bonds within ten minutes of using it. We used this product on the engine of our car, and it worked just fine. Unlike other spray paints, the paint did not crack or peel after some time. Using this product was also an easy job. To get good results, we would recommend applying multiple layers rather than just one. Make sure you have at least two minutes of drying time between the coats. All in all, we were really satisfied with this product and a good option to save a few bucks while renovating your car.
- The spray paint is suitable for any surface of the car like plastic, vinyl and leather
- The color seal to the surface with a molecular bonding
- This paint won’t chip, crack or peel from the surfaces
- It dries out within 10 minutes with a superior
7. Dupli-Color MC201 Metal Cast Chrome Spray Paint for Metal
Dupli-Color MC201 Blue Metal Cast Anodized Color is well known for its great performance and unique features. It is a spray paint made specially to be used on metal surfaces that undergo critical conditions. This paint is resistant to oil, gas, and heat, which makes it durable. It can tolerate heat up to 500-degree Fahrenheit. Ordinary spray paints available in the market give up under such conditions and undergo cracking. But this spray paint has successfully managed to survive such conditions. This makes it ideal for using it in the interior of your car’s hood, where the temperature is usually high.
The Dupli-Color Blue Metal Cast creates an anodized color effect on our car, which looked quite good. You can use this on bare metal or chrome-like surfaces without any doubt. To get the best results, we would recommend using a primer before applying this product. It features an easy-to-use fan spray, which made our job much easier. This best Indoor/Outdoor Paint for Metal can dry within a short period of thirty minutes. It is available in five colors for you to choose from. In our opinion, the Dupli-Color is an ideal choice for all car lovers.
- It dries down to touch within 30 minutes, but it is better to leave for 1 hour for handling it
- Touch fan spray nozzle will give more product in different angles with minimum pressure
- Anodised color effect gives a corrosion-resistant finish for metal surfaces
- Heat resistant up to a range of 500° F
8. Krylon Acrylic K01303007 Crystal Clear High Gloss Spray Paint for Metal
Moving forward, we have another product from Krylon. It is the Krylon K01303007 Acrylic Spray Paint. This best spray paint metal outdoors/indoors is the perfect choice for people with an artistic view. It improves photo contrast along with a glossy finish. The effect which this Krylon Crystal Clear produces is a sight to watch. The bright glass-like coating looks good on and makes it look refreshing. Another interesting observation was that the coating gave an illusion of depth which we found very appealing.
The Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear Spray Paint in 11-Ounce Aerosol gives a protective layering that prevents the metal from damage and increases its life. We used this product on different materials like paper, glass, metal, dried silk flowers, and it worked well on each of them. It has a good coverage area of about 20 square feet. Within 15 minutes of using this product on our Prototype, it was dry and ready to use. Also, it was quite easy and mess-free to use.
- The spray paint acts as a protective layer and increases the longevity of the product
- It won’t oxidize and fade into yellow like other clear paints
- Delivers a glossy finish and dries down within 15 minutes
- It is well suited for any type of surface
9. Rust-Oleum 7579838A2 Professional Anti Rust Spray for Metal
One can use the Rust-Oleum 7579838A2 Professional Spray Paint for indoor and outdoor purposes. The oil-based formula brings out a rich color. You can use this most durable spray paint on both ferrous and non-ferrous metal. Apart from metal, one can also use it on a variety of surfaces. We used it on wood, concrete, and masonry, and it worked great on all of them. The Rust-Oleum High Performance Enamel protects against rust and corrosion. The paint does not fade or chip and maintains its color for a long time.
The Rust-Oleum professional spray paint for rusty metal has a good coverage of 14 square feet and can be used from all angles. We were satisfied with the high output tip for spraying paint. It made the whole process much easier and mess-free. The painted object had a glossy finish to it which looked quite good. There is no need to wait for more than one hour to apply the second coat. Although, for best results, we would recommend sanding before painting.
- The tip delivers maximum product with single touch and provides a glossy finish
- One single can covers an area of 14 sq ft. and dries down within 15 minutes
- The durable oil-based formula protects the surface from corrosion
- Suitable for different types of surface
10. Rust-Oleum High Heat 248903 High Quality Spray Paint
This is a product made especially for car lovers. It is the Rust-Oleum 248903 Automotive High Heat Spray Paint. This heat-resistant spray paint for metals is an excellent product that works wonders on your car. Made to withstand harsh conditions, this Rust-Oleum 248903 can be exposed to temperatures as high as two thousand degrees Fahrenheit. Its special formula not only prevents rust but at the same time protects your car against oil, gas, grease, humidity, salt, and other environmental conditions. We would say that this product is safe for use on any part of the car like exhaust, rearview mirror, header, etc.
Rust-Oleum High Heat features a formula that enables the paint to bond to the metal and last long. The tip for spraying is very comfortable to use. We used this product from different angles, and it worked well each time. It can cover an area of 10 sq feet and dry in less than 30 minutes. In our opinion, if you follow the instructions on the label properly, the process becomes easier and faster.
- It prevents the formation of corrosion and withstands oil, gas, grease etc
- Long-lasting finish and durable spray provides a protective finish
- Resistant to high heat up to 2000°F
- Comfort tip to spray will work in different angles
11. Krylon ColorMaster Paint and Primer K05125207
When it comes to spray painting, the Krylon K05125207 ColorMaster Paint + Primer is a preferable choice. You can use this best metal paint to add a metallic touch. You can use this spray paint to renovate your indoor projects. We used the product on various surfaces, including wood, metal, wrought iron, plaster, glass, and many more. We would say that it turned out great on each one of them. The exciting part is that you can choose from a range of fifty-six unique colors to paint. You also get various options like matte, flat, semi-flat, satin, etc.
We were quite impressed with the smoothness and adhesion of the Krylon Paint. It is not only paint but also a primer too. It features an EZ touch spray which prevents finger fatigue. You can apply it from three-sixty degrees without any dripping. This makes the procedure easier and faster. We were relieved to see that the paint dried within a short span of ten to fifteen minutes. Other than that, we do not recommend this product for outdoor purposes.
- Well suitable for various surfaces by providing a protective shield
- The product is well suited for the automotives exposed to higher temperatures
- Metallic finish prevents formation of any rust and resists oil and gas
- EZ touch spray can work well in multiple angles effectively
12. Minwax 33055000 Polyurethane Fast Drying Spray Paint
Minwax has been a leading name in the interior paint industry. Therefore, they have done a good job maintaining their standards with the Minwax fast-drying Polyurethane Aerosol Semi-Gloss. This fast-drying spray paint is specially made for more intricate and critical use. Along with metals, you can use it to spray wood too. This Minwax product gives a protective layering, which makes it long-lasting. We used it on furniture, cabinets, and tables and were impressed with the results. This spray paint was quite easy to use with minimal dripping.
The Minwax spray paint 33055000 can be used with both finished as well as unfinished wood. It gives a nice finishing and provides nice durability. The paint dried considerably faster than the other products that we have used. Other than that, it required very less prep work to use this product. But one piece of advice from us, do not shake the can before use, rather stir it. Shaking will only create unwanted bubbles without doing any good. So, we recommend stirring. You can choose from the different finishes available for this product. Our personal favorite is semi-gloss. All in all, the Minwax is an impressive product and a must-have for every household.
- The paint is aerosol finish and ideal for furniture, doors, cabinets etc
- It is suitable for both finished and unfinished wooden surfaces
- Dries down very fast and offers a long lasting superior finish
- This spray paint is long lasting and hard protective coating
13. Rust-Oleum 252462 Automotive Enamel UV Resistant Spray Paint
You can use this Rust-Oleum automotive spray paint for both indoor and outdoor purposes. Its oil-based formula can prevent chipping or fading. We noticed that our project was scratch and nick resistant after using the Rust-Oleum Automotive Enamel on it. We used the clear gloss finish for our object, but you can choose from the many finishes available for this product. Every finish looks great and provides the same protection. The paint dried within 15 minutes of applying it, which saved us some time.
Thanks to any angle spray technology of the Rustoleum Spray Paint Metal, Gloss Clear, we were able to apply it from any angle without any mess. The spraying tip was comfortable to use and prevents finger fatigue. With a can of 11oz, we could cover an area of about 10 sq ft. We feel that this product provides excellent weather and UV resistance. Furthermore, it is best to clean up with mineral spirits after using this product. Other than this, we would not recommend using this product on surfaces with a temperature above 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The oil-based formula will protect the product surface from corrosion
- Any angle spray technology will help in easy application
- UV and weather-resistant
- It is suitable for interior and exterior use
As per the above-provided product information, you will have enough options to choose one product per use. Before choosing one, you may get confused about choosing the type you need. So we are providing a buying guide to choose a perfect spray paint for metal as per your need.
How to Spray Paint Metal?
- Choose an ideal location for painting. Avoid windy areas which can ruin your painting.
- Sand the metal with sandpaper to provide adhesion.
- Clean the surface of the metal with a cloth to remove dust.
- Shake the spray paint bottle slightly and try it on cardboard first.
- Then, slowly spray paint your metal object.
- Clean the stains or spills with a thinner or paint cleaner.
What Kind of Spray Paint to Use on Metal?
The best kind of spray paint for metal is oil-based spray paints. Some of the examples of oil-based paints are acrylic or enamel paints. They work well on metals and stick to their surface. They are also made to protect from rust as well as corrosion.
Spray Paint Colors for Metal
Colour is the most important part of any kind of painting. That is why spray paints are available in a variety of colors and finishes. Teal blue, ivory, copper, lavender, holiday red, vanilla, cranberry, and October brown are among spray paints’ most popular color choices. You can go for any color to paint.
Types of Spray Paint
Enamel spray paints are mostly used for painting metal objects. It has an oil-based formula that binds the paint onto the metal and protects it. They also provide good finishing.
High heat spray paints are made to tolerate high temperatures. You can apply it on surfaces that are exposed to higher temperatures. Automobiles, grillers are some examples of objects painted with high heat spray paint.
As its name suggests, chalkboard spray paints are used to give a chalkboard-like finishing on the surface. They are mostly used with wood or metal. If you write something on a chalkboard spray-painted object, it can be cleaned easily.
These kinds of spray paints give a special type of finishing to your project. Some of these finishes include reflective, metallic, rust, stone, and many more. They bring out a special effect on the surface of the object.
How to Keep Spray Paint from Chipping off Metal?
You can prevent spray Paint from chipping off by following these ways
- Sanding and cleaning the surface before painting
- Applying a primer.
- Making thin layers instead of one thick layer of paint.
- Completing the painting in one sitting without any half-painted job.
Who Makes the Best Spray Paint for Metal Surfaces?
Rust-Oleum is a leading brand when it comes to spray paints. Sea captain Robert Fergusson found it in 1921. Since then, Rust-Oleum has been manufacturing high-quality spray paints that also protect against corrosion. It is a brand trusted by many.
Krylon spray paints are the ideal product for painting on difficult surfaces. Their spray paints feature a special formula which bonds the color onto the surface and makes it last longer. They also provide rust protection which makes them a good choice for outdoor use. Krylon is known for including a variety of color options for their spray paints.
How to Prep Metal for Spray Paint?
- For new metals, clean the surface with a clean, dry cloth.
- If the metal has old paint, scrub it off by sanding or using a wire brush.
- Sand the surface till it is smooth and free of rust.
- Repair small holes present on the surface of the metal.
- Apply a good primer.
How to Distress Metal with Spray Paint?
You can get a distressed look on your metal by following any of these methods
- Lightly sanding the paint after painting. The pressure should be very light.
- Applying lacquer thinner on the edges using a paper towel
- Applying dark wax on some parts like edges.
- Painting a darker shade using a dry brush on the places where you want it to look distressed.
How to Get Spray Paint off Metal?
- Keep the metal in a heat-resistant container.
- Pour hot water over the metal.
- Allow the water to boil with the metal in it.
- Soak the metal for 5-10 minutes.
- Scrub off the metal using sandpaper or scrubber.
Things to Consider While Buying a Spray Paint
Before buying a product, it is essential to know about the important features to consider. So that you can get a good perspective to choose a perfect product. here are the main features to consider when buying spray paint for metal
Before deciding to buy spray paint for metal, you should have a clear idea of where you will use it. For example, some spray paints are meant for only indoor painting while some can do both indoor and outdoor. So, make sure you check this factor before buying one. You should also check the list of surfaces the spray paint can work on and buy the one compatible with the intended surface.
Ease of use
When buying any tool, you should always look for its ease of use. In the case of spray paint, its ease lies in its sprayer. Go for a spray paint that has a wide and comfortable tip for spraying. This way, you can avoid finger fatigue and complete the job faster. Also, make sure your paint does not drip much; otherwise, the process can become messy. Also, try to look for compact and portable spray paint.
Spray paints are available in different sizes and prices. When it comes to spending money on spray paint, the decision lies completely in your hand. If you like spray painting things in your free time, you may not want to spend a lot on it. But if the object to be painted is something like an automobile, then the cost of spray paint might be in the higher range.
Frequently Ask Questions
Q. What is the best paint for metal?
Oil-based paint is the best paint for metal.
Q. Can you spray paint metal?
Yes, you can spray paint metal.
Q. How long does spray paint take to dry on metal?
Spray paint takes about 30 minutes to one hour to dry on metal.
Q. Can you spray paint galvanized metal?
No, you cannot spray Paint Galvanized Metal.
Q. What kind of paint is spray paint?
Aerosol paint is used in spray paint.
Q. Can you paint over rusted metal?
It is advised to remove the rust before painting the metal.
Q. Where to buy cheap spray paint?
You can buy the best and cheap spray Paint at Amazon.
Painting is the favorite hobby for many. But something better than conventional painting is spray painting. Along with good results, it saves a lot of time and cost. Our list of the best spray paint for metal will help anyone buy spray paint to paint their project. While buying good spray paint, many factors need to be considered. Our buying guide will help you to decide the ideal spray paint for you.