PORTER-CABLE PC160JT Benchtop Jointer
- Ensures 12000 to 22000 cuts per minute
- Perfect for flattening, edging, or face jointing.
- Variable speed range of 6000 to 11,000 RPM
Best Budget Pick
REXBETI Wood Biscuit Plate Joiner REX031
- One can lock adjustable tilt fence in any position from 0 to 90-degree
- Dust extractable design
- Motor power of 10,000 RPM
CRAFTSMAN 10-Amp Benchtop Jointer
- Suitable for both hard and soft surfaces
- Cutter head speed of 12,000 to 22,000 cuts per minute
- 2-knife cutter head with jackscrew knife leveling arrangement
Do you want to achieve professional results while working on woodworking projects? Or are you facing problems in making the wooden board edges square and flat? If these are the situations you face in your professional life, then a jointer is the best equipment for you. These woodworking jointers are perfect for creating smooth surfaces and removing twists of the board so that different boards can be glued together. The setup of jointer and planer helps create small boards with smoothing and leveling of the faces of the wooden board. A single jointer cannot provide superior results, and a woodworker must use both jointer and planer.
As the name suggests, the jointer is equipment that creates straight and finished edges on different boards before joining them to develop a broader board. This helps in obtaining the best from extremely rough lumber. Therefore, buying a premium quality jointer is essential for a worker to accomplish the task quickly and effortlessly. This comprehensive buying guide will tell you the top-rated jointers that we have gathered through our thorough evaluation, analyzing the customers’ reviews and ratings, and talking to our professionals in this woodworking field. This guide will surely help you to purchase a perfect jointer tool that can provide you with the most favorable results for an extended period.
14 Best Wood Jointer Reviews
- Best Pick Overall: PORTER-CABLE PC160JT Variable Speed 6″ Jointer
- Best Biscuit Jointer: REXBETI REX031 Wood Biscuit Plate Joiner
- Great for Woodworking: CRAFTSMAN CMEW020 Benchtop Jointer
- Most Versatile: Festool 574432 DF 500 Domino Jointer
- Best Budget: Powermatic 1610086K 60HH 8″ Jointer
- Portable: Wahuda Tools Jointer 8-inch 50180CC-WHD
- Great Quality: Festool 574447 DF 700 Joiner
- Quietest One: JET 708457DXK JJ-6CSDX 6-Inch 1 HP Jointer
- Easy to Use: Cutech 40160H-CT 6″ Bench Top Jointer
- Value for Money: Jet JJP-8BT 8-Inch Jointer
- Sturdy: Powermatic 60C 8″ Jointer
1. PORTER-CABLE PC160JT Benchtop 6 Inch Jointer
The PORTER-CABLE Benchtop Jointer is our top pick in the jointers’ category, considered perfect equipment for woodworking and wood-related activities. It is a great tool for making wooden surfaces perfectly flat. For both beginners and professional woodworkers, this high-quality jointer is extremely beneficial and easy to use while doing DIY projects. It offers a variable speed ranging from 6000 to 11,000 RPM and allows the operator to pick the speed appropriate for a specific task. This speed further depends on the toughness of the material being cut. On the other hand, it also comes with a high-speed cutter head that can move at an incredible speed of 12,000 to 22,000 cuts per minute.
The extra-large benchtop table gives you adequate work support and a surfacing stock of a complete width of 6-inches. It is one of the best benchtop jointers equipped with two knife cutter heads with a jackscrew knife for leveling the arrangement and making it appropriate for a particular project. The presence of a built-in cutter head lock allows easy adjustment and replacement of knives. We found this premium benchtop jointer suitable for every wood and DIY project and is a value for money tool. Our experts also pointed out that it has a center-mounted fence responsible for providing the much-needed support throughout the cutting process and furnishes the most precise edge jointing results.
- Built-in cutter headlock with a leveling arrangement of jack screws makes the replacement process and knife adjustments easy
- The product is easy to assemble, and the 6-inches large workbench will provide enough space to work on your project comfortably
- Variable speed range of 6000 to 11000 RPM allows you to avail different speed levels for various projects
- You can achieve an accurate and perfect cut for edge jointing with a center-mounted fence
- Two knife cutter heads with jackscrew knife leveling arrangement
2. REXBETI REX031 All Wood Type Biscuit Jointer
Most people desire to make their own furniture at home and design appropriate for their house interiors. The REXBETI Wood Biscuit Plate Joiner Kit is an excellent piece of equipment that can benefit the woodworking business. This product has a powerful brisk motor having a speed of 10,000 RPM, which also enables making smooth cuts through different types of wood. It has a 4-inch carbide-tipped blade ideal for various joints such as miter joints, butt joints, corner joints, and T-joints. You don’t need to worry about the dust created during the entire woodworking process. The dust will get stored in the detachable dust bag, and you don’t have to breathe the sawdust while working.
The three adjustable fence positions are accessible to the users, i.e., 0, 45, and 90-degrees. A beginner will not face any problem while adjusting the fence as it is easy to set the fence angle and height quickly. An angle knob is present that allows you to alter the fence angle and enables you to counter edge-to-edge, end-to-edge, and meter-to-miter angles. Additionally, it comes with 100 pieces of biscuits and are packed solely for achieving easy and quick access. We found this biscuit jointer better than most jointers because it comes with wooden biscuits, a detachable dust bag, and a safety lock screw. Customers’ reviews and our experts’ suggestions also pointed out that it is a valuable product to buy, having all necessary traits and distinct knobs for making various adjustments.
- Three adjustable fence positions, i.e., from 0 to 90-degrees. The position can be locked at any degree for easy adjustment and joining
- Dust extraction port and bag with suction function will achieve your clean working bench dream even while working on it
- Large and comfortable top grid D-handle and Pre-set depth to cut slots for several biscuit sizes for easy procedure
- Brisk motor with a power speed of 10,000 RPM allows you to work at various speeds on different types of woods
- Carbide-tipped 4-inch blade ideal for all types of joints like mitter, butt, corner or T-joints
3. CRAFTSMAN CMEW020 10 Amp Benchtop Jointer
Suppose you are looking for the best small wood jointer ideal for edging, flattening, or face jointing. In that case, you can go for the CRAFTSMAN Benchtop Jointer having high-quality specifications. It is equipped with a heavy-duty 10-Amp motor capable of generating enough power for both hard and softwoods. The tool has a variable speed of 6000 to 11,000 RPM, whereas the cutter head speed varies from 12,000 to 22,000 cuts per minute. You have complete control over the speed and select the optimum speed depending upon the dimensions and hardness of the material.
Further, it has a two-knife cutter head with a jackscrew knife leveling arrangement that enables you to replace and adjust the position of the knife easily. For accurate cutting, a center-mounted fence provides the required support during the entire cutting process and furnishes accurate edge jointing outcomes. These features help you decorate your house with hand-made furniture made using DIY fences, chairs, frames, and more. However, everything is not appropriate with this machine. Our experts and reviews of various customers have one thing in common: the build quality is not up to the mark and may not offer durability to the user. In the portability aspect, we found this tool to be better than other jointers, but this equipment lacks other types of jointers regarding material quality and ease of use.
- Cutter head speed of 12,000 to 22,000 cuts per minute makes the woodworking process easy and quick
- The center-mounted fence of the jointer gives precise cutting for all the DIY and professional projects
- Two-knife cutter head with jackscrew makes the knife leveling arrangement and replacement easier
- Variable speed from 6000 to 11,000 RPM is available to adjust the speed for different materials
4. Festool 574432 DF 500 Q Set Domino Wood Joiner
The Festool Domino Jointer is a unique jointer that allows craftsmen to develop stronger, easier, and quicker joints as it creates cuts from the fat part of the joinery. This jointer comes with depth control that provides quick and precise adjustment with five distinct mortising depths relative to the dimensions of the tenon needed for the application. In addition, a pivoting fence is available for creating angled mortises at different angles ranging from 0 to 90-degrees with stops at 22.5-degrees, 45-degrees, and 67.5-degrees. It allows you to adjust the width of the mortise with a simple rotation of a dial and facilitates easy and quick adjustment when joining panels.
This Festool 574432 is much ahead of other wood jointers for sale when it comes to cutter spindle speed. It features an incredible speed of 24,300 RPM with a cut diameter of 5/6/8/10 mm. The jointer works on the patented routing principle that means the spiral cutter oscillates and rotates accurately to create perfect, fine, and repeatable mortises with every usage. The indexing pins help in precise placement by quickly aligning against the edge of the workpiece. In addition to all these specifications, it has an extractable dust design to give clean mortises, and hence, enables proper glue adhesion and extended life of the cutter. We observed that this Domino is a unique tool that can improve your work efficiency as well as helps to accomplish the work quickly and without taking a lot of effort. Our experts also recommended this tool for a wide variety of woodworking projects.
- The pivoting fence will allow work on different angled mortises between 00 to 900, very flexible. You can even adjust the angels at 67.50, 450, and 22.5°
- The device has a cutter spindle speed of 24,000 RPM with pre pre-installed 5 mm cutter for the unique and precise cutting action
- Domino slot cutter diameter of 5/6/8/10mm will provide ease while doing repetitive work with perfect repetitive accuracy
- 5-30mm of routing height adjuster with scale and easy dust extraction for better adhesive joints
5. Powermatic 1610086K Model 60HH 1-Phase 8 Inch Jointer
The Powermatic 10086K Model 1-Phase Jointer is one of the most expensive wood jointers available in the market. It features various user-friendly and unique functions that can easily help craftsmen to accomplish their woodworking projects with greater accuracy. It has a helical cutter head having four-sided knife inserts or a three-knife cutter head. You can quickly adjust the positioning of the infeed table through the tool’s adjustment lever and provides fine-tuning of cut depth. In addition, it allows you to change the height of the table quickly. The presence of a worm gear system helps to achieve smooth fence tilting so that a handwheel can easily operate.
The helical cutter head with 4-sided carbide inserts contributes towards smoother and quieter cutting and provides a superior quality finish. The extra-long tables furnish 73-inches long extended support mounted in dovetailed ways and act as extended workpiece support. For safety against scratches during working, it has a non-mar insert in the fence. Another advantage is that it is easy to operate as the operating switch is mounted high and gives good reach while working. Moreover, the push blocks include a magnetic base that you can store on any type of metallic surface to get quick access. We found that it is a value for money tool that offers premium quality traits and is great for professionals. Most users are also satisfied with its performance. However, it may not be a good option for beginners because of its high price, but it is the best phase jointer for specialists.
- Easily accessible high mounted switch and a magnetic base give sturdy support if you place it on any magnetic surface
- A worm gear system operated by a handwheel will provide you a smooth fence tilting for accurate woodwork
- The product has 54 four-sided helical carbide inserts for smooth and superior finishing with precise cutting
- Extra-long tables mounted in dovetailed ways allow you to expand the workspace for bigger projects
6. Wahuda Tools 50180CC-WHD 8-Inch Benchtop Portable Jointer
The Wahuda 8-inch cutter head jointer is the best budget jointer for beginners having all quality specifications with good performance. This product has been developed by taking into consideration the safety standards. It is certified with ISO 9001 factory and approved by CSA for performance and safety. The tool has a cast iron table that provides convenience and proper stability while doing the operation and reduces scratching. You don’t have to worry about its weight with cast iron tables as it weighs around 64 lbs. and can be easily moved from one location to another.
This Wahuda Tools 50180CC-WHD has a robust and powerful 10 Amp 120V motor that can handle the work operations effectively. It has the potential to make cuts with 8-inches width and 1/8-inches depth. The 4 levers installed in the table help to achieve the table leveling for coplanar. Further, the long extruded fence offers a tilt of 90 to 135-degrees. It ensures smooth and fine cutting results without creating too much noise and gives quick tip rotation or replacement if the insert becomes nicked. We found that it is excellent equipment that can generate high-quality results with every usage. Our experts also confirmed this and pointed out that it is an advanced jointer power tool capable of executing things accurately and has heavy-duty build material.
- Spiral style cutter head with 4-sided carbide is a standard-sized head with abundant availability and delivers a perfect cut
- Cast iron tables will give you a sturdy base for heavy woodworking projects. Its versatile fence can tilt from 900 and 135°
- A powerful 10 Amp 120V motor delivers a speed of 12,000 RPM for steady and accurate work with smoother surfaces
- Portable and safe to use, the jointer comprises robust corrosion and scratch-resistant material for prolonged usage
7. Festool 574447 XL DF 700 Domino Professional Jointer Set
The Festool 574447 XL DF 700 Domino Joiner Set is the highest-rated jointer, having superior ratings from all the users. This product provides a unique and patented cutting action that develops perfect mortises. It rotates and oscillates to create high-quality, extremely clean, and repeatable mortises with every usage. You can alter the mortise width by using and turning a dial, enabling easy and quick alignment while joining panels. Being a piece of expensive equipment, it ensures to deliver premium quality specifications to perform every action. It has a solid design with the Seneca adapter kit, making this tool adequate for making frames with different wooden boards and picture frames.
This Domino large jointer set is great for beginners in the woodworking field as it allows you to mark the cuts easily and accurately due to its fence, pre-set depth settings, and alignment gauge. The indexing pins provide quick alignment against the workpiece’s edges and ensure accurate placement. We are also impressed with the unique T-Loc Systainer and three storage compartments for holding the Domino tenons in a single place and giving easy access to the craftsman while working. We also concluded that it is a perfect jointer for almost everything a craftsman requires for a quick and proper accomplishment of a woodworking project. Customers’ reviews also suggest this same thing and can be an inseparable part of your toolkit.
- D8/D10 Domino XL cutter size gives a patented and unique cutting action that gives adjustable rotations and oscillations for precise mortises
- A perfectly positioned workpiece is attained with an adjustable fence angle, Mortise depth stop, and adjustable cutter height
- Indexing pins for quick alignment against the edges of the wood piece makes perfect joints for any narrow joinings
- The mortise will be clean and ready to clean for a perfectly adhesive workpiece with dust extraction technique
8. JET JJ-6CSDX 6-Inch 1 HP 708457DXK Long Bed Jointer
If you are looking for a good quality jointer for your home shop use, then the JET 708457DXK JJ-6CSDX 6-Inch 1 HP Jointer is the ideal option for you. Equipped with a quick-set knife system, this joiner can easily square the wooden board without diverting from the target. It features the modern automatic set quick-change knife system that allows you to alter all three blades quickly. This best cabinet jointer has an all-steel enclosed base cabinet that gives a stable platform and keeps the table’s surface at an appropriate height of 31-1/4-inches above the floor. It is suitable for building doors, tabletops, and other pieces of furniture easily and quickly.
JET JJ-6CSDX also features a fan-cooled motor for consistent performance and houses the 1 HP and 1-Phase 115/230V TEFC suitable for heavy working. The cutter head spins at a consistent rate of 6000 RPM for achieving a balance between the removal of material and the surface of the wood. It also provides a long, cast-iron table having a smooth and precise machined finish. This keeps the wooden board at its position and furnishes greater accuracy while working. Additionally, the fully adjustable infeed and outfeed tables allow you to adjust the height according to your requirements. We found that this equipment offers much more than its price and includes everything needed in a premium-quality jointer. By talking to our experts, we can conclude that it is a versatile, stable, and convenient jointer that is a little bit expensive but justifies it through its quality specifications.
- One-piece heavy-duty steel closed with mounting tabs and an extra-long cast iron table makes the jointer a robust one
- Built-in versatile rabbeting ledge to place the workpiece. Center-positioned fence controls for easy adjustments
- Front-mounted handwheels for table adjustment and automatic limiter can make any deeper cuts precisely
- Fully adjustable infeed and outfeed tables for adjusting height alignments
9. CUTECH 40160H-CT 6-Inch Benchtop Spiral Cutterhead Jointer
Suppose you are a budget-minded novice or professional craftsman who wants to buy a premium quality jointer. In that case, the CUTECH 40160H-CT 6-Inch Benchtop Jointer is an excellent tool for you and your workplace. In addition, it is the best jointer for small shops that don’t require it to begin its effective leveling operations. This all-new and modern jointer with spiral-type cutter head design features 12 two-sided HSS inserts that ensure a great finish. The tear-out is also reduced significantly because of its better chip evacuation through the tool’s 2-1/2-inches dust port. It is also a piece of lightweight equipment weighing just 40 lbs.
This cheap wood jointer includes cast infeed and outfeed tables that can be easily leveled at the time of requirements and the adjustable cutter head guard spring tension. The tool has a 6-inches width capacity and up to 1/8-inches of depth capacity. Further, the 30-inches of the total table length allows you to do your woodworking work even on the longer boards. The powerful 120V 10 Amp motor is also present to enable efficient operations every time. The product comes with push blocks and every tool required for rotation or replacement of the cutter tips. Our analysis found that it is the best jointer under 500 price range, having all the necessary features. With good ratings by customers and recommendations by our various experts, we can say that it is a great jointer for both beginners and professionals with limited shop room.
- Accessible to level infeed and outfeed tables with a dust port and chip evacuation facility for better adhesives jointers
- The jointer’s Adjustable fence from 90 to 135-degrees delivers easy rotation and positioning of mortises
- Adjustable cutter head guards spring tension and width and depth capacities for longer workpieces
- The device contains 12 Two-sided HSS inserts with a 120V 10 Amp powerful motor
10. JET 707400 JJP-8BT 8-inch Benchtop Jointer Planer Combo
The JET JJP-8BT 8-Inch Jointer comes with a sturdy and compact design, making it ideal for a small shop or place with restricted space. This best table top jointer combines a benchtop jointer and a planer that provides you with the benefits of two tools in a limited space. Handy equipment features precision adjustment knobs that help you to accomplish your projects according to your needs. Powered with a heavy-duty and powerful 13 Amp motor, this tool can generate 18,000 cuts per minute. It further offers a feed speed of around 19.5 feet per minute that allows you to make a large number of cuts in less time.
This combination jointer planer’s consistent and robust performance is possible because of its potential to offer stable and accurate jointing and planing. It can even handle a wide range of material sizes and includes an outfeed table of sheet metal that supports even bigger pieces of the wooden board. Moreover, the durable and two-speed steel knives help to achieve accurate and smooth cuts. An extended three-years warranty further backs it. Our review with evaluation of customers’ reviews and ratings help us to conclude that it is the best combination of planer and jointer that is easy to use and handle and capable of producing the desired results. It will be a good tool for your shop that you can use to attain professional results every time.
- The oversized ergonomic knobs are for comfortable and easy adjustments. The precise adjustments give you more control over the workpiece
- A robust aluminium extruded fence provides stable and accurate jointing and planing for woodworking
- A powerful 13 Amp motor with a three-year warranty is apt for any heavy-duty applications
- Two high-speed and durable steel knives give accurate adjustments
11. Powermatic 1791317K 4HH 1 HP Wood Jointer Tool
The Powermatic 4HH 6-Inch Jointer is the best power jointer that features a superior quality finish and quiet operations. It is specially built and designed to allow the easy accomplishment of woodworking projects and can remain an important part of your workshop for years. This 1HP jointer has an all-steel base cabinet that can hold the table surface at a proper height of 32-inches from the floor. The motor is also present at a special mount to facilitate easy belt tension adjustments and the adjustment lever on the infeed table to furnish accurate and fine cuts.
The high-performance cast-iron fence system is grounded in such a manner that promotes straightness in making cuts. This jointer is equipped with a supporting and tilt mechanism made up of huge cast-iron pieces and gives durability and accuracy to the system. This cast-iron table furnishes appropriate support to the larger workpieces and is perfectly mounted in dovetailed ways to allow height adjustments. The presence of a reliable helical cutter head with machined carbide inserts is another plus point of this jointer that is arranged in spiral-shaped rows.
Backed by an incredible five-year warranty, this jointer also includes a dust collection chute that responds to evacuating debris. We have included this unit in our list because it has high customer ratings and satisfying performance. It also offers everything required in a woodworking shop, including carbide inserts, adjustment levers, and adjustable infeed outfeed tables. Our experts also suggested this equipment for attaining premium quality results and that too with proper safety.
- High-performance fence system and Fully-adjustable 38-inches two-way tilting fence with positive stops
- Lockable push button to prevent any accidental starting of the motor without causing any accidents
- 40 four-sided carbide inserts provide superior finishing and precise cutting for mortises
- A powerful motor of 230V will give a fast and accurate working pace
As of now, you are aware of the best caulking gun types available online, packed with several essential features. Now, it is time to guide you through the process of selecting an ideal one that will suit your requirements. We discuss many important topics under this buying guide, along with an overview of some essential features to look for while buying a silicon gun.
What is a Jointer?
A jointer, also known as a jointer-planer, is a woodworking tool used for producing flat and smooth surfaces along the length of the wooden board. This tool works on the narrow edges of the board and makes them ready for use either as a butt joint or sticking into panels. The primary purpose is to eliminate all the twists and wraps in the board and helps in achieving consistent thickness and precise parallel sides. In addition, it has a design that supports the surface leveling of the widths of the board, slightly small so that it can easily fit the tables.
What Does a Wood Jointer Do?
A wood working jointer is an essential tool required for achieving the desired results in woodworking projects. It helps in making the boards leveled and prepared for the further course of action. Also, it creates a perfectly flat board and removes wrenches to get the smoothness and uniform thickness of the board. It makes one face and the adjacent edge of the board accurately flat and square to one another. This equipment is considered great for smoothing out cupped boards. Any individual who wants to work with rough lumber can prefer a jointer to attain the desired outcomes.
How Does a Jointer Work?
The working of a jointer depends on its three components, cutter head, infeed table, and outfeed table. They work in unity and enable the jointer to function effectively and flatten the wooden board. The material is firstly pushed across the infeed table, past the cutting head, and then onto the second table known as the outfeed table. The adjustable fence of the jointer has to be set at an angle perpendicular to the cutter and tables. This running of the material against the fence during successive cuts helps to square up the two adjacent edges of the board. It can also be altered to make an angle cut on one edge of the wooden board.
How to Use a Jointer?
Using the jointer appropriately and obtaining the desired results, you have to follow some steps on using a jointer properly. Here are some simple steps for using a jointer-
- A jointer has a fence, an infeed table, and an outfeed table. Adjust all of them as per your need. The fence is adjusted in a way that it can cut angles or levels. The infeed table must be lower than the level of the outfeed table.
- Feed the wooden piece into the jointer with the rough side facing down the machine. You can feed the wood multiple times till you achieve straight edges.
- For planning, you can use a push stick to push the wooden piece through the blade with the rough side facing down.
- For making a bevel cut, repeat the same procedure, but you have to adjust the fence at an angle of 45-degrees. You may have to pass it several times to create a perfect bevel edge.
What Size Jointer Do I Need?
A jointer is measured by its knives’ dimensions, which helps determine the broadest wooden board the machine can level and surface. A jointer, without any additions, can easily handle the lumber measuring as twice as that of bed size. It means that the bed length, in addition to blade size, gives the dimensions of material it can quickly surface. A 6-inch jointer is beneficial for most woodworking activities, and it costs around $300 to $750. An 8-inch jointer is useful for broader and longer materials as it has extended beds and wider knives. Its extra mass enables the smooth running of the tool. These 8-inch jointers are usually great for big woodworking workshops.
How to Sharpen Jointer Blades?
- Choose between waterproof sandpaper or sharpening stones. This choice will vary according to the grit and cost preferences.
- Place the blade on the solid, non-slip surface and extend greater pressure for making quick cuts. You have to keep on polishing until it becomes reflective.
- Sharpen the bevel edge by positioning the blade at the correct angle. You have to sharpen it until it becomes shiny and has less burr.
- Remove the burr using the stone and store your tool properly.
How to Set Up a Jointer?
- The jointer is one of the most difficult tools to set up appropriately to achieve the desired results. The entire process involves three parts.
- Level both the infeed and outfeed tables to make them coplanar.
- Move on the cutter head.
- Adjust the knives present inside the cutter head and align them with the outfeed table.
- Set up the fence precisely square to the outfeed table.
Who Makes the Best Jointer for the Money?
Grizzly Industrial, Inc. is a national retail and Internet company dealing in a large variety of premium quality woodworking and metalworking power tools, machinery, and hand tools. It offers some of the best carbide cutter head jointers in this category. The company provides jointers of every size and can provide you with exciting and reliable results for a longer time.
CUTECH is a renowned name in the tools industry and provides workers with quality benchtop planers and jointers along with spiral cutter heads. It gives you the convenience to produce a superior finish with every wood project. These tools are best for those who are looking for high-quality jointers at affordable prices. Most users are also satisfied with the performance of CUTECH tools and recommend them to potential buyers.
DELTA Power Equipment Corporation has emerged as a successful brand in providing woodworking tools. The tools are popular because of their preciseness, accuracy, and reliable performance. Various professionals make use of such tools to accomplish the job at the right time. The company supplies a wide range of stationary woodworking tools, such as jointers, planers, table saws, grinders, etc., for professional woodworking markets.
CRAFTSMAN offers a complete line of tools for workwear and garden. Stanley Black and Decker currently own the brand. These tools are good enough to satisfy the requirements of different types of projects. In addition, a vast range of benchtop jointers are available in the market that come with variable speed ranges and other necessary specifications.
PORTER-CABLE is an old established brand in providing power tools and pneumatic tool innovation. This American company is known for pioneering the helical-drive circular saw, portable band saw, and portable belt sander. The benchtop jointers of Porter-Cable are among the most preferred by professionals and have quality traits like dual cutting heads, variable speed options, and table size.
What is the Difference Between a Jointer and a Planner?
Following are the differences between a jointer and a planer:
- A jointer is used to perfectly square a single edge. It fattens up a single edge. While the planer is to create parallel surfaces and to ensure a consistent thickness of the surface.
- A jointer cuts the wood from below as it has knives mounted on the table. Whereas a planer can cut from the above.
- A jointer ensures roughly the smart thickness around the surface, while a planer ensures that a thickness is exactly maintained throughout the surface.
Different Types of Jointers
A benchtop jointer is an appliance or device used to create flat surfaces on the wood. This woodworking device can remove the twists from the wood that can be formed due to knots in lumber. Removing twists is done by flattening one face of the wood and squaring up against one edge. It has a series of blades that makes it easier to cut wood. Using a benchtop jointer will offer you a smooth, shiny finish on the wood.
A cabinet jointer is a large and stationary jointer compared to that of a benchtop jointer. They are perfect for industrial uses and offer the strength required for accomplishing industrial activities. They are also more expensive jointers than benchtop jointers and have enormous power concerning the material and potential of the motor. Cabinet jointers can easily handle larger wood pieces and are more substantial than benchtop jointers.
Simple Tips for Using a Jointer Effectively
- Don’t make adjustments while running the jointer, as it can affect the actual results and pose a health risk.
- Better to secure the table adjustment locks and fence tightly before using the tool. Also, it is advisable to check them occasionally while working but only after turning off the jointer.
- It would help if you prevented making heavy cuts with the jointer that can jam the cutter head. Further, you don’t have to remove more than 1/16-inches per pass on softwoods, and the limit is even less for hardwood.
- Avoid joining wooden pieces less than 3/4-inches in width or ¼-inches in thickness. Try to use hold-downs or push blocks for woods narrower than 3-inches.
- Always wear safety gear, including safety glasses and proper ear protection devices.
What to Look for While Buying a Perfect Wood Jointer?
There are some factors to consider before choosing a perfect jointer for all your woodworking jobs. And such important factors are as following:
The width of the bed plays an important role in knowing the potential of the jointer to accomplish a specific task. It also influences the overall cost of the tool. For every woodworker, a jointer with a bed width of around 6-8 inches is enough.
A 6-inches bed width jointer will cost less than that of an 8-inches jointer when it comes to pricing. Hence, for individuals with less budget, a 6-inches jointer will be a good choice. But if you deal with larger wooden boards regularly, you have to prefer a jointer with an 8-inches bed width to get the desired outcomes.
Cutting depth is another essential aspect that you need to look at before buying a jointer. This helps to determine the number of passes you have to do to make the wooden board smooth and completely straight. A cutting depth from 1/2-inches to 3/4-inches is favourable and can provide satisfactory results. Each pass takes out some part of the worn-out wooden board and eventually leaves the user with a finished and uniform wood piece. However, initially, you have to apply two or more passes to get an even and entirely straight board. Hence, it would help if you bought a jointer with appropriate cutting depth for achieving quick outcomes.
Type of Jointer
Jointers are usually available in three variants, closed stand, open stand, and benchtop design. Every type is suitable for different purposes, but closed stand jointers are much better among these three options. This is because they have a certain structure that helps to keep dust and debris out of the motor. This thing extends the life of the jointer and keeps on providing the same quality leveling outcomes for a longer period. They can also offer impressive and superior performance over other benchtop and open stand structures. Hence, it is better to go for a closed stand jointer.
Adjustable Fence with Positive Stops
Tilting the fence is essential to keep the jointer precise over its position. For some wooden pieces, a craftsman has to give the support of a fence at different tilted angles. But it will not be possible unless you buy a jointer with multiple adjustable positive stops. These stops must be pre-installed in the jointer so that you can level the edges accurately. The positive stop angle ranges from 90 to 135-degrees and can vary according to your needs.
Dust Collection Port
This additional feature of the jointer is also as crucial as other aspects. It is because a lot of dust and debris is created while surfacing and leveling the wooden board. Therefore, you have to ensure that the jointer you want to purchase must come with a dust collection system. This system helps keep out the dust and debris from your workplace and allows you to complete your woodworking tasks in less time. In addition, it improves the experience at the worksite and remains a lot cleaner, and workers remain less prone to accidents.
Frequently Ask Questions
Q. How much does a jointer cost?
The price range of jointers is wide and extends from $400 to an incredibly high $2000, due to the range of jointers being very vast and includes different types with quality traits.
Q. How to adjust a jointer?
Follow these two steps to adjust a jointer:
Step 1: Adjust the jointer’s fence by loosening the stop screw. Also, it is better to adjust the infeed table to set the depth of the cut.
Step 2: Turn the knob to adjust the outfeed table. For this, loosen the four screws present above the blades.
Q. How to flatten a board with a jointer?
For flattening the board, you need to focus your pressure on the infeed table. This will allow the cutter to repeat similar passes across the stock. After some passes, the board will begin to flatten.
Q. Where to buy a jointer?
Several online shopping platforms provide a broad range of jointers. You can also look for a specific model at the company’s official website to get a perfect deal. The option of a nearby hardware and tool store is always open for you.
Q. Can I use a table saw instead of a jointer?
Yes, it is possible to use a table saw instead of a jointer. A table saw is better for edging plywood as compared to a jointer.
In this review of various jointers, we addressed the importance of purchasing the best jointer for beginners and professionals to get the required woodworking outcomes. Every craftsman desires to maintain such a tool that can make their woodworking task easy, and a jointer can do it in a few minutes. Furthermore, a jointer can become an essential part of the toolkit to smooth and level any wooden board’s rough edges and surfaces. To achieve all these things, every worker needs to analyze every feature of distinct jointers available in the market to make the right decision. With the help of our listed jointers available on Amazon, you can buy the top-rated tool at a reasonable price with premium quality specifications that can last for a longer period.