YESWELDER LYGL500A Welding Helmet
- Uses True Color Technology which reduces eye strain and improves visibility
- It’s design is lightweight and unique making it very comfortable to wear
- Headgear with large comfort cushion gives great adjustability
Value for Money
DEKOPRO Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet
- Auto-darkening filter protects welder’s eyes in case of electric failure
- Unique design with adjustable head straps ensures a tight fit
- Comfortable, lightweight and convenient to use in different environments
YESWELDER LYG-17800F Large Screen Helmet
- Gives Wide-screen view which helps to see more and better
- This welding helmet uses true color lens technology for better clarity and real color view
- Comes with pivot style headgear which makes it super comfort to wear
The main concern of every welder is to ensure their own safety in the first place while performing risky duties of welding metals. A welding mask should be on top of the priority list of a welder for sure, as personal protective equipment. A welding helmet of superior quality can protect the skin and eyes of welders from burning during the welding process. It can protect their eyes from getting severely damaged by infrared and ultraviolet rays. So it is nothing but obvious that choosing a welding helmet constitutes a very important part of a welder’s life.
As important as a welding helmet is in a welder’s life, it does not need to compromise with looks or comfort by any means. While a welding mask becomes an important part of the entire attire of a welder, he should also be sure that it does not cause him much discomfort in a whole day. He should not feel suffocated while wearing a helmet and definitely should not look like someone out of place. So you can always choose from a wide range of best auto darkening helmets. Which, on one hand, deals with safety of your eyes and. On other hand, makes sure that you do not feel out of place or uncomfortable.
8 Best Auto Darkening Welding Helmet for the Money
- Best Choice: YESWELDER True Color Welding Helmet Pro
- Value for Money: DEKOPRO Solar Powered Welder Mask
- Lightweight: YESWELDER LYG-17800F Large Viewing Screen Mask
- Most Comfortable: Antra AH6-260 Series Full Featured Welding Helmet
- Extra Large View: Monster & Master MM-WH-001 Welding Helmet
- Budget-friendly: DEKOPRO Solar Powered Welder Mask
- Long Battery-life: TEKWARE Anti Fog Up Helmet
- Durable: Tacklife Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
1. YESWELDER Solar Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
Yeswelder’s True Color Solar Auto Darkening Welding Helmet is a trustworthy name in the world of welding. While the task of welding is very hazardous, you must consider having a welding helmet that does not waste a long time before darkening itself as you choose from the color range. We took note that this welding helmet was fast enough to respond in a short amount of time. Once adjusted, there was no way we would feel hot flames washing over our face as this helmet was keeping our heads tightly covered with enough space to breathe. No matter what flames you are working with, no UV or infrared rays would be able to harm your eyes anymore.
This Yeswelder welding helmet auto darkening is in possession of multiple high functioning features, which we feel to be utterly important and a lifesaver to a certain extent, as long as welding is being taken into consideration. Its true color technology is extremely helpful for keeping your eyes protected from strenuous flames and rays. Not only it reduces the chance of you getting hurt, but it also ensures sharp visibility even in the face of such intense flames. It can be used with batteries, but you can charge it with its solar panel to save some extra money for enhanced usability.
- This welding helmet boasts an advanced “Real color view” technology allowing it to stick to a real color view by minimizing the intense lime green color of the screen
- Auto darkening welding helmet has two sensors, work amazingly together to give a very fast darkening within less than 1/10000 second
- You get a better comfortable fit with its headgear which has an oversized comfort cushion and gives greater headgear adjustability
- You can control the shade of the color you are comfortable working with. It has multiple levels to choose from
- It sustains the original 1-1-1-2 optical clarity rating and delivers better visibility than regular welding helmets
2. DEKOPRO Solar Powered Auto Dimming Welding Helmet
DEKOPRO auto darkening welding helmet is one of the best products we got our hands on in the sphere of auto darkening helmets. This has earned itself an outstanding rating of 1/2/1/2 and has successfully met all the safety standards and protocols decided by EN379. Besides, it was an extremely light weight welding helmet, so no need to worry about carrying its weight on our heads if you have to wear it for long hours. So when you decide to buy this Dekopro welding hood, you can sit back and relax, knowing you are getting the best and your money is being invested in something worthy.
DEKOPRO welder mask is compatible with a wide range of welding processes, including MIG, MMA, MAG/CO2, Plasma cutting, Plasma welding, arc gouging, and TIG. So we could keep wearing this welding hood while carrying out almost any welding process known in the welding field. This solar-powered auto darkening welding hood is an extremely fast responding hood as it does not take more than a fragment of seconds to automatically switch from light to dark mode. To be precise, it goes dark within <1/25000 seconds which is an impressive performance for this welding auto darkening helmet.
- This welding hood has a rating of 1/2/1/2, and it takes only 1/25000 seconds to turn dark before welding. So great practicality is a sharp feature of this helmet
- Its ADF DX 500S Auto darkening filter can control the shade of the lens to accommodate accordingly in various working environments
- Has a wider view of 7 square inches which is better than most of the standard welding helmets
- It has several working operation modes, including facility safety, maintenance, repair and operations, and overhaul
- The helmet is tight enough to keep your hands free while welding and has an attractive design of blue eagle
3. Yeswelder LYG-17800F Extra Large View Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
The Yeswelder auto darkening welding helmet does come with a large viewing screen compared to other welding helmets. It did let us peek through the screen and have access to seeing a vast area over where we were about to test it. This way, you can make your welding way more precise and have a better control of your hands and equipment. These are specially designed with a true color technology that wipes out the greenish view off the helmet screen and allows you to see things with their natural colors. A solar panel powers this welding hood, so it can be charged without batteries if needed.
Yeswelder large view auto darkening hood is a great choice for welding helmets that you can resort to. It was very lightweight and did not make us feel congested while working in this helmet. This hood is well capable of saving the delicate skin around your eyes far away and protected from scorching heat and sparks of welding flames. It also has an extended screen area that keeps your eyes protected without barring them from seeing beyond the helmet glass. No one likes their vision to be barred while performing a dangerous task like that of welding. So you can see things more clearly with this large view welding helmet without having to turn or tilt your head while carrying on the attention demanding task of welding.
- The true color technology of this welding helmet eliminates all the extra tints of color which distort the real image of things
- With lithium-ion batteries along with solar panels, you do not need to worry about the battery life of your hoods anymore
- It does not have just 2 sensors like the standard ones, and rather it boasts 4 premium sensors to work at its best
- This mask is especially famous for its extra-large viewing screen, which is 3.93″X3.66″
- It has a pivoting style headgear paired with comfortable cushions for your relaxation
4. Antra AH6-260-0000 Self Darkening Welding Helmet
The next auto darkening welding hood that you need to know about is this Antra auto darkening welding hood which comes with a wide variety of shades. This came as a dual powered welding helmet that could draw power from its solar panels and lithium batteries, ensuring a long-lasting shelf life. It also ensures that your whole face and neck are fully covered and that no part of that skin is exposed to harmful rays and flames. Passive filters and a permanent shade 13 are designed to protect you from UV or IR rays.
Antra auto dark welding helmets had all the best features to offer, along with their sturdy structure. It never flipped up or down while working with flames, eliminating the possibility of accidents due to wobbling. It is very lightweight, and therefore we never noticed any neck or head strain. Double layered LCD shutters are auto dimming which starts working as soon as you begin welding. It does not let your eyes face hot, bright flames of fire and adjusts shade accordingly so that you can see your surroundings without much problem.
- These hoods support multiple industrial metal fabrication processes like grinding, plasma cutting, AC TIG, DC TIG, MIG, etc., so versatility is its top-selling feature
- The permanent shade range is set at 13 while providing a precise and sufficient shade range between 4/5-9/9-13 (visible lights)
- This auto darkening welding hood has 4 premium redundant arc sensors, which help to produce precise auto shading
- It has an external and additional grinding switch that lets you change the mode from welding to grinding
- It maintains its stable performance even when the DC welding arc is as low as 2 amperes
5. Monster & Master Wide View Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
If the viewing screen of a welding helmet is large, it comes to advantage by avoiding tilting and moving the head frequently. The Monster & Master auto darkening welding helmet was a great choice as we were looking for a mask with a large viewing screen. Plus, it is an amazing choice for welders as it keeps your whole face, ears, throat, and neck protected from fiery flames. Though this is made of soft material to ensure your comfort while wearing it, we discovered it was very strong and durable.
This Monster & Master auto darkening welding helmet was a perfect mixture of technology and comfort to provide us with the best and safest welding experience. It is corrosion-resistant regardless of whether it is of high temperature or low. Even if there is a sudden flash of strong light and flames, this welding helmet detects the light immediately. Within a fraction of seconds, it reduces the intensity of that light so that your eyes do not get hurt.
- Being flame-retardant and light-proof, this helmet gives complete protection to your eye and skin. Its level of protection from UV and IR rays is DIN16
- It can come in handy in every welding process and even in military uses and mining, providing you with complete satisfaction
- This automatic transform technology of this welding hood identifies strong light and reduces the brightness within 1/10000 second
- The anti-interference design of this auto darkening welding hood helps to see objects clearly while welding is going on
- It has enough space inside to let you breathe and stay at ease while wearing the helmet
6. Dekopro Solar Powered Auto Darkening Lightweight Welding Helmet
Dekopro is known for making welding helmets superior in quality and always earning good grades in customers’ opinion. This Solar powered auto darkening professional hood is another innovative product from Dekopro that is dually chargeable by battery and solar panel. The speciality that this best auto tint welding helmet contained was a very wide lens for better viewing and a vast range of adjustable shades. So welding did not seem terrifying because we know this Dekopro auto darkening professional hood has got our back.
This best auto darkening welding helmet has an outstanding rating of 1/1/1/2. It has not failed to meet the technical standards of EN379 and safety standards of ANSI Z87.1. It was lightning fast as it took only about 0.00004 seconds to turn into a dark shade from a light one, and we must say we were impressed. This solar powered darkening hood has not only kept itself limited in a particular industry. Rather, it is widely used in more than one industry. We checked its variable shade range and saw that it has options from 9 to 13, which was pretty impressive on its part.
- Once it’s sensor’s motion strong lights, it starts working towards a fast auto darkening at once and turns dark in less than 1 /25000 seconds
- The perimeters are made smooth, carefully rounded, so there is no way you can get uncomfortable or hurt by it
- With a wide view panel of approximately 7 square inches, it is one of the most user-friendly products
- The operation types facilitate safety, maintenance, overhauls, repair, and operations
7. Tekware Anti Fog Up True Color Autodarkening Welding Helmet
Often we see that working heavily while wearing some mask or helmet is a bit problematic as that tends to invite a lot of fog in front of the screen. But this Tekware auto darkening helmet is one of those rarest brands that have come forward to address the problem of fogging up the screen. We noticed that this smart anti fog design did not let the screen get blurred away. So we realized that it helps you carry out your chore without complaint. More astonishing is that this welding hood comes with a side panel view, giving you complete control over which direction you want to look at.
Tekware’s auto darken welding helmet had true color technology, which we appreciated very much. It reduced the traditional greenish tint from the viewing screen and tried to keep everything looking like it was without a hood. This welding hood with respirator has a wide viewing screen with two side views. The front view screen is auto darkening activated to protect your eyes from having to face sparks and flames directly, but the side view is non auto darkening. This welding mask also has a dual powered system, and it is very comfortable for welders to wear as well.
- It has a double liquid crystal layer, and also, you can adjust the object distance from the viewing screen by losing the lug nuts, also can switch between grind and weld
- Its true color technology gives your surrounding a better clarity in the view screen and does its best to sustain the true color of things without adding a green layer
- It is made up of a perfectly durable and flame retardant polyamide material and has an exclusively designed cushion for your protection
- This auto darkening mask is blessed with a special 4c eye comfort lens and has a 180° panoramic view for professional welders
- DIN 4/9-13 full wide shade range is available, which comes helpful in almost all the welding processes
8. Tacklife Auto Darkening Welding Mask
Tacklife auto darkening welding helmet is another great option for satiating your welding needs while remaining in an affordable range. This cheap auto darkening welding helmet does not compromise with quality or features while saving extra bucks. It is one of the best rated auto darkening welding helmets we have found so far, as its rating is 1/1/1/1. The best rating is supposed to be 1, and 3 to be the worst. So you can see why customers put their faith in this product. You would not want to spend a bundle of money for an auto darkening hood when you know you can get the best at a way cheaper price.
The viewing screen of this Tacklife auto darkening hood was large enough to let us see our target objects clearly without a single problem. Its view screen size is 3.86 × 1.69 inches which is satisfactory enough for professional welders as well. This is compatible with most of the industrial welding and grinding processes known so far, including MIG, MMA, TIG, MAG, plasma cutting along with grinding, etc. The product earned good points in its customers’ opinion. It, therefore, is a great option for you if you are looking for an affordable yet effective auto darkening welding helmet.
- DIN3 controls light transmittance three times better than normal filters and UV transmittance is less than 0.00002 while IR transmittance is less than 0.03%
- Its polyamide material is durable and lightweight. Plus the headband is well balanced and adjustable to reduce neck stress of the welder
- The viewing screen is top rated 1/1/1/1 and produces top-notch optical clarity while reducing diffusion of light to ease your eyes
- This product remains true to its fast response feature as it goes dark in less than 1/25000 sec to protect your eyes from arcs
- This welding hood has a full shade range of ¾-8/9-13 and meets all the safety standards
Now that we have covered all the best auto darkening welding helmets for sale, let us give you thorough instruction on which factors to consider before you invest your money in a self darkening welding helmet. As you can see, there are many good quality and money-worthy products available in the market. But you have to know which one is the best for you, so keep reading this review to know more.
What is an Auto Darkening Welding Helmet?
Welding is an industrial process that is not a very safe job for welders, as this requires a lot of experience and even more precautions to stick to this industry. While you know welding requires a particular set of attire that can keep welders safe from flames, it is extremely important to give extra care while choosing a helmet. This device helps welders keep their eyes and face safe from spatter and sparks of welding. It also prevents ultraviolet and infrared rays from harming your face and skin, which may lead to retina burns and, eventually, vision loss. An auto darkening welding helmet dims down intensity of sparks while you see them from under the cover of your welding helmet.
Are Auto-darkening Welding Helmets Safe?
Indeed there is a point why these helmets preferred over normal welding masks, but not all auto darkening hoods are as effective as you wish them to be. That is precisely why we came up with this best auto darkening welding helmets reviews for best available ones worth your money and safety. When you are at your welding job, you should never put work pressure before your own safety. This way, a self darkening helmet works way better than a passive welding helmet to keep you safe from all hazards of welding.
With an auto darkening helmet, you do not need to take that helmet on and off, again and again. Rather, settings would do the job for you, as and when needed. So you can see why an auto darkening hood cuts chances of accidents, and you would be able to pour your whole concentration into welding rather than having to worry about your safety. Plus, a self darkening mask also reduces chances of random errors during the process, making your welding job way easier than it is supposed to be.
Why Should I Need an Auto Darkening Welding Helmet?
- Auto darkening helmets turns dark whenever you strike an arc, which makes your eyes stay safe and secure.
- Once welding completed, this helmet returns to a semi-transparent stage.
- The semi-transparent state of the welding view screen remains intact even when it protects your eyes from harmful UV and IR rays during welding.
- Helmet nodding has been seen to reduce strain on a welder’s neck considerably compared to normal welding masks.
- These hoods reduce the chance of grinding or reworking as no helmet nodding system deals with electrode placement and further bars need to tilt the face or neck for a closer view.
- A welder can look closer in a tight space for welding even without helmet nodding, which makes the job easier.
- liquid crystal components of a proprietary lens sense and orient intense light of an arc and polarizes it into three layers of lights.
How Does an Auto Darkening Welding Helmet Work?
- An Ultraviolet/infrared filter layer comprises a glass layer that further contains several metallic layers. They protect your eyes and crystal panel by filtering out their/UV rays and polarizing them.
- After every UV/IR interference layer, there is one polarization filter in an auto-darkening hood. So there are a total of three polarization filters set at a 90° angle. These layers are totally dark, which helps them polarize the lights.
- 2 liquid crystal panels placed between the 3 polarizing filters. They have the ability to bend the light when charged by electricity. So you can even control whether you want to refract the light or not.
- There are arc and light sensors in an auto darkening hood that work together to test the intensity of flame light and then darken the lens as needed to protect your eyes.
Who Makes the Best Auto Darkening Welding Helmet?
Miller is a known and renowned name for auto darkening welding helmets. They have a wide range of welding helmets, including auto darkening and passive welding helmets. Their auto darkening helmets have clear light, x-mode, info tracking, and premium headgear, which outshine almost any competing brands producing auto darkening hoods. They produce the best quality welding goods you must have in your stock.
Harbor Freight has a full range of auto darkening welding helmets to satisfy the welding needs of their customers. Their auto darkening helmets are a perfect fit for all Flux, MIG, TIG, etc., welding processes. Also, they are very budget-friendly compared to other standard welding helmet producing brands. Harbour Freight has always taken care of its customer’s needs and budgets, making it the topmost brand in the world of welding helmets.
All Lincoln auto darkening welding masks are the best rated ones as they have 1/1/1/1 ratings, best you can find around in the market. They are sturdy and comfortable welding helmets, designed in a way that your eyes and neck remain stress-free for a long time. There is hardly any other brand that can match the amount of dedication Lincoln puts into their productions. It would help if you considered having them in your stock.
Auto Darkening vs Passive Darkening Welding Helmets
The first and foremost difference is that the auto darkening custom welding helmet has an auto darkening lens, which automatically adjusts the darkness while welding to protect the eyes. A passive welding helmet does not have that. When the self darkening helmet is not active, its lens remains transparent enough to let you see the object you are working on through it. So you do not have to take the helmet off, but passive welding helmets do not have this feature.
Almost all the auto darkening helmets tightly secured around your head so that it does not wobble while working, unlike the passive darkening welding helmets. On the other hand, one can not deny that passive welding helmets are way more affordable than auto darkening helmets because they do not have as many features as a self-darkening ones. Passive darkening helmets are more lightweight than auto darkening helmets. But these passive ones are not very comfortable for your neck or eyes like they are in the case of auto darkening helmets.
Variable Shade vs Fixed Shade Helmets Which is Best?
A fixed shade welding helmet cannot change its shade according to your comfortable one, and it is usually pre-determined to turn a specific shade of dark which you can not alter further. But a variable shade welding helmet allows you to choose from a wide range of shades. The flexibility in a variable shade and a fixed shade helmet also differs to a great extent. It generally is equivalent to the differences a self darkening and a passive darkening welding helmet has.
If you want to pursue a fixed kind of welding process for fixed welding material, a fixed shade helmet is enough to serve your needs as there would not be many fluctuations in the intensity of the flames. But if you are open to a large variety of welding processes and work with different welding materials as well, then its flames and intensity would often differ from one another. In that case, your helmet must adapt to those conditions, and a variable shade would come in handy.
How to Test Auto Darkening Welding Helmet?
Your welding helmet must adhere to the standards set by the ANSI Z87.1. So before you buy any darkening helmet, you have to test whether it meets all the specifications mentioned in the ANSI guidelines.
Another way to know whether your helmet is the best fit for you or not is to check its fitting. If the helmet is loose or tight for your head, then it is not the one for you. A properly fitting helmet should sit in place as you wear it.
To check whether your helmet would work properly in accordance with your needs or not, you must check the welding hood lenses. A high capacity auto darkening helmet would often range from 9 to 13.
Another witty experiment that you can try to run is a sun test. All you have to do is take the helmet out and hold it under the sun. Keep an eye on how much time it takes to adjust to the changing intensity of sunlight.
Clarity and Visibility
If your helmet does not let you see things properly while not in operation, then you should know that your welding helmet is not working properly. A welding helmet should allow you to see things both when it is in operation or not.
If you have worked at least once with your welding helmet on, then you must have known by now whether wearing this helmet is wearing your eyes out or not. If it brings fatigue to your eyes, immediately change your helmet because it is not working for you.
How to Adjust Auto Darkening Welding Helmet?
- First, to properly start working with your newly bought helmet, you have to place it on a clean surface, tilt the helmet upwards, and swing it over its headband. Make sure the battery properly secured in its place.
- Next, you have to set the delay time on your helmet, which is how fast you want the helmet to change from darker shade to light. You can set it up as 0.25 – 0.40 seconds if you want a fast response, or you can also set it to 0.7 – 0.9 for a slow adjusting time.
- There got to be an adjustment knob on the side of your auto darkening helmet. Using this knob, you can set your ideal shade for your welding process.
- Make sure to choose the right dark shade as needed for a particular type of welding. And always try to go for a darker shade than needed. It would keep your retina safe and protected from harmful rays.
- Once all the above adjustments done, put on the helmet and adjust its headband properly so that you do not end up with an ill-fitted helmet.
Welding Helmet Shade Chart
|Flux core||100 – 400||10 – 13|
|TIG||5 – 300||9 – 13|
|Stick welding||30 – 500||9 – 13|
|MIG||80 – 500||10 – 13|
How to Store an Auto Darkening Welding Helmet?
- You should be very careful even while storing an auto darkening helmet in your home, as there are several matters to take care of. You should always keep spare batteries with you to use in an emergency.
- The front lens cover is also a very delicate part of your helmet that should be protected to not catch any scratches on it. Try to have spare lens covers or store them in a bag to protect them from scratches.
- As your welding helmet often remains exposed to a high heat system, you should consider storing it in a cool place to give it some time to cool itself down. You do not want to wear out a helmet by always keeping it hot.
- Never use your helmets without having proper backup sweatbands in your stocks. You should always have these basic spare parts in your to keep your welding helmet fully functional and even in emergencies.
What to Look for in an Auto Darkening Welding Helmet?
Before you conclude on purchasing any auto darkening welding helmet, you should take a moment off to stop by and brood over whether it is the perfect choice you can make or not. There are a few matters that you should take care of and give due importance before buying. Below, we are listing some of the matters that you should look into before buying any helmet.
When you plan to buy an auto darkening welding helmet, you should check for its reaction time, which means the time it takes to go from light to dark mode. It should have a minimum reaction time of 1/10000 second. Anything less than this limit should be considered a slow reaction time and should be rejected.
If welding is your full-time profession, you need to ensure that the helmet will not become a burden to you after working for a long time. It becomes very hard for a welder to continue working if the welding helmet is sitting too tight and heavy on the head. So, before you decide to buy, check if the helmet’s weight is light.
Delay And Sensibility
As you work on different arcs, the delay and sensibility for those arcs would also be different. If the welding helmet is of limited capability, or so to say, if it has a fixed delay and sensibility, then it would not be good for all the welding processes you would commit yourself to. So be sure that your helmet allows you to go for different delays and sensibility.
Depending on the intensity of your welding arc, the number of arc sensors does vary. But generally, in a decent quality auto darkening welding hood, two arc sensors are enough to suffice the need. But there are also better welding helmets with 4 arc sensors that work the best, so you should choose wisely.
The lens size is an important matter to look into before buying a welding helmet. 2 × 4 inches is the standard size of a lens, but better helmets have larger lenses. With a lens larger than the regular viewing panel of 7- 8 inches, you would be given control to look beyond the fixed small area. So you got to consider helmets with large lenses for your ease.
Frequently Ask Questions
Q. What is the best auto darkening welding helmet?
The helmets mentioned above are worthy of praise, but the Yeswelder solar powered auto darkening helmet is the best.
Q. How fast should an auto darkening welding helmet turn?
A helmet should turn dark in at least 1/10000 seconds.
Q. What is the best setting for a auto darkening welding helmet?
Auto-darkening helmets work best within the usual set shade ranges of #6- #9 and #9 -#13 in others. Some helmets also have an extra ‘grinding mode’ feature, and it is a lower shade setting of #3.5 or #4.
Q. Can I use a welding helmet to look at the eclipse?
Almost all the helmets can be used to see the eclipse, and the Yeswelder helmet is the Best Auto Darkening Welding Helmet for Eclipse.
Q. Where can I buy an auto darkening welding helmet?
You can buy an auto darkening welding helmet from Amazon.
Q. Is it safe to use a welding mask to look at the sun?
Yes, it is safe to look at the sun, but we recommend not to look directly at the sun if there is no eclipse.
Q. How to trigger auto darkening welding helmet?
There is an adjustment knob on the side of the helmet, so you trigger the helmet by using this knob.
After going through all the best auto darkening welding helmet reviews, we have mentioned the best auto dimming welding helmets that deserve your special attention. We have tried to list them down in this review. Plus, we have given you an elaborate inside look at buying the right welding helmet for your profession. You should always compare and contrast all available auto dimming welding masks to find the best one for money. Here in this article, you will find all aspects and features and compare helmets concerning their usefulness. We hope you have made up your mind on which one you should buy with the help of this review.